• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hitchhikers.....What are they?

I've been having some very odd insects invading one of my tubs in my mini fish room.

It's the only tub affected although there are 3 others in very close proximity...So what are these creatures? They look like tiny white mini flies and although they look like they have wings, and look like dead and fallen in the water, they tend to be moving their legs?

They are actually tiny. I've zoomed in on them below

20180428_130446.jpg

20180428_130332.jpg

20180428_130412.jpg

Could very well be you already called them by name.. <The Whitefly> :) There are several sp. Are considered a common pest. You would need a small pocket microscope to get a closer look for proper ID. If it is whitefly than the eggs and nymphs are on the leaves causing damage, not in the water afiak.
whitefly-as-vector-6-638.jpg

As said get a pocket microscope 60x to 100x mag.. They are rather cheap nowadays, even clip ons for the mobile phone.. Than you can get a closer look much easier to identify.. Such a blury pic doesn't tell us much, other than it seems to fly and it is white. :)

They likely come from outdoors, most houseplants aren't very susceptible to pests, tho the softer leaved plants are, for example a Banana plant, is very delicate and rather susceptible to all kinds of pest like spider mites and louse. Whitefly is i believe considered from louse family..

They're surely breeding somewhere but I can't identify where. I sucked up all of them yesterday from the surface via a water change and today there are lots again. They get attracted to that particular tub...... There's just one emersed peace lily in this tub and it's got nothing visible on its leaves. I also have a few stalks of anacharis floating that aren't doing great due to the mass amount of light I am blasting the tank with. There's lots of algae in there and lots of surface agitation so not sure why they've chosen that particular tub as they've got a choice and if they fly, they can infest any of the others easily....Maybe its the red hue of the light? Although I am reading white flies like yellow...The youtube video I watched showed that the larvae are clearly visible on the underside of plants but I can't see nothing on mine...

I'm not sure what the scale is - are they spring tails just really close up? They don't usually look winged though.

They do appear to have wings and legs....I did feed with some live food a month ago so I could have added something....Perhaps in my bigger pond whatever appears gets eaten as there are fish hanging near the surface. The hillstream loaches don't go catching anything moving in the water. But then again I've got 2 open top planted shrimp tanks those flies could have infested and they haven't....

Hi all,
They are the adults of an aquatic midge or moth, the adults have got caught in the surface film as they emerge from the pupae. You can tell if they are midge, or moth, by the number of wings, moths have four wings and flies only two.

If they have four wings (two pairs), they are almost certainly the <"Water Veneer" (Acentria ephemerella)>.

If they have two wings (one pair), they are a midge, and midge would be my guess.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I hoping you'd show up.

When when I google aquatic midge I come across pictures of midge sp. TANYTARSINI and mine look very similar. The tank is also ridden with algae so its something that gets attracted to that is my guess...

Here's a picture in wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanytarsini

And in the below it says they love algae....

https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/...gs2/true-fly-larvae/midges/chironomid-midge13

However, I managed to get a short video of one of them for better ID, if possible. What do you think?

Back