• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High tech with low maintenance- looking for inspiration

ArcticLagoon

Hey everyone,
I wanted to know if this exists and if so can I see some examples?

By low maintenance I only mean less frequent trimming of plants, such as once every 4-6 weeks. While I have enjoyed lush growth in my current tank, I don’t think I like the trimming activity as much.

Planning for my next aquascape and I would appreciate any suggestions on the topic.

Cheers from western Canada!

Hi all,
While I have enjoyed lush growth in my current tank, I don’t think I like the trimming activity as much.
<"Aroids like"> Cryptocoryne spp., Schismatoglottis, Bucephalandra & Anubias barteri and mosses & ferns, Bolbitis spp. You should be able to reduce nutrients, <"light intensity"> & CO2 level (down to 15 ppm?)

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I would recommend stuff like crypts, anubius, bucephaldra, java ferns, bolbitis, a lot of ephiphytes. maybe a carpet of hemianthus micromoides, or marseilia. those are both fairly slow growing, and that would allow you to lower your co2 and lighting a bit, further reducing maintenance.

As all of the above have said, I just have Crypts and Buce (with a tiny bit of Anubias and Coral/Phoenix moss) and in tank maintenance consists of removing the odd dying outer leaf, occasionally pulling up a Crypt runner to stop to stop it from taking over, having a waft about/turkey baste during water changes and I have twice in three years had a severe cut back. Life's good!

Hi-tech, or take the hybrid approach. Grow less demanding plants, like those suggested above. And like Darrel @dw1305 mentions above inject just enough CO2 to turn the drop checker green instead of lime green. You'll get healthy plants but more of a slow burner, and more wriggle room.

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions. I want to try this out and will come back with photos in a few weeks . Stay tuned!!

Im much the same, I’m much more at ease with a slower paced tank, this is the main reason I recently closed down the 60p as I was trimming every other week.

These are maybe a couple of examples of what you are seeking…..

B96C836E-8D3E-440B-ABE2-4564A863B2CD.jpeg

This one is more colourful, but utilises a lot of epiphyte plants that grow slowly so require little intervention. The crypt balansae and spiralis at the rear with the cyperus halferi again require less frequent pruning, especially if you manage lighting to slow down growth. The lilies and crypts with the various epiphytes add plenty of variation in colour and shapes. Co2 injection and good quality lighting keep the plants looking vibrant but not unruly.
Adding sand foregrounds rather than carpets also reduces maintenance in regards trimming as obviously there is no carpet plants to take care of, yet they still provide an impactful foreground, especially when using graded gravels for additional layering and texture.

IMG_7132.jpeg

This tank is much more simple with easy category plants offering lush growth in a high energy system. This means you get nice growth, but with plants that require much less intervention than a stem plant tank. Keeping it super simple can be a statement in itself 💚

Will look forward to seeing what you do…

Last edited:
Im much the same, I’m much more at ease with a slower paced tank, this is the main reason I recently closed down the 60p as I was trimming every other week.

View attachment 218804
This one is more colourful, but utilises a lot of epiphyte plants that grow slowly so require little intervention. The crypt balansae and spiralis at the rear with the cyperus halferi again require less frequent pruning, especially if you manage lighting to slow down growth. The lilies and crypts with the various epiphytes add plenty of variation in colour and shapes. Co2 injection and good quality lighting keep the plants looking vibrant but not unruly.
Adding sand foregrounds rather than carpets also reduces maintenance in regards trimming as obviously there is no carpet plants to take care of, yet they still provide an impactful foreground, especially when using graded gravels for additional layering and texture.

View attachment 218806
This tank is much more simple with easy category plants offering lush growth in a high energy system. This means you get nice growth, but with plants that require much less intervention than a stem plant tank. Keeping it super simple can be a statement in itself 💚

what size tank is the first one? looks amazing!

View attachment 218804

View attachment 218806

Both look stunning! Thanks for the inspiration. It is really hard to choose between the 2 but these were the examples I was really after.

Thanks a ton! I ll be back 😀

Back