• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help With Plants On Wood

Its looking ok but you do need to make a few changes for it look more interesting. The sand is too flat you need to add some depth to it. Higher at the bk sloping down towards the front. The wood looks fine but the rocks don't look right the way you have them. Instead of having them in a circle around the wood make it look more natural if you know what I mean. Space them out more and have them staggered. Hope this helps. It just takes time to get it right there is no rush, just keep messing with it until you are happy with it.

Cheers, lee

Thanks Lee, I have more sand to go in that was just a layer to place the rocks as I wasn't comfortable putting them on the glass. I'll have a bit more messing around tomorrow bit late now.

to start with its far easier to use another tank to try mimic the core layout then the more you do it the easier it will be.
have a look at this: https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/layout/Layout108/21195 the island style scape is good as it will allow for fairly good flow around the tank its rather easy to ballance it out ant just looks good.

play around my first few tanks looked rubbish so don't stress.

dave

Thanks for the link Dave I will give it another go tomorrow with the tips Ive been given.

How are you getting on with this?

Hi Matt, this is what my tank looks like now. :)

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

I need to get more plants but unsure what to get or where to place them, I was thinking Crypts? I can plant in the sand as Ive changed my mind on the fish I was going to get. What would you suggest as I don't have a clue and have just winged it :lol: I will be injecting Co2 if that makes a difference as to which plants can go in? I just want it to look great so I am taking my time and not putting fish in until its ready :)

I'm so sorry I'm only just getting round to replying!! A great source of info on plants is the tropica website which splits plants into easy medium and advanced categories. You choice will depend on what you have in mind for your future vision of the tank. One I would suggest considering would be vallis (for height) or maybe you want to give a red plant a shot also?

I'm so sorry I'm only just getting round to replying!! A great source of info on plants is the tropica website which splits plants into easy medium and advanced categories. You choice will depend on what you have in mind for your future vision of the tank. One I would suggest considering would be vallis (for height) or maybe you want to give a red plant a shot also?

Hi Matt, I would like some red in my tank but not too red, I do think my tank needs more colour, here's a couple of pics so you can see what Ive got and how the tank looks now. Any suggestions on plants appreciated. Thanks :)
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

To be honest I'm not sure that with your lighting, a red plant would stay red... you might be better with getting plants with different leaf textures and shades of green to add interest. Bolbitis is quite dark with quite an unusual leaf shape for example...

To be honest I'm not sure that with your lighting, a red plant would stay red... you might be better with getting plants with different leaf textures and shades of green to add interest. Bolbitis is quite dark with quite an unusual leaf shape for example...

I was wondering if my light would be good enough for red plants, its not the best but I do plan on getting a better light after Christmas. I will check out Bolbitus, Crypto Undulatus looks a nice plant as does Crypto Usteriana. The plants no longer have to go on wood and rocks, I have planted in the soil now as I changed my mind on fish choice. :)

Back