• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help With Plants On Wood

Tommy

Hi everyone, I am about to attempt my very first aquascape and need help with plants. I have a fluval roma 240 led.

Ive bought a load of dragon stone and some branches (don't know what kind). I will be using fine black sand as substrate as I plan to get some Geophagus Red Head Tapajos and they sift through the substrate.

My plan is to use plants that go on the rock and the branches however my knowledge of plants is almost non existent. I know Anubias and Bucephalandras and some Java Ferns attach to branches and stone but that's as far as I know.

I have no idea of what kind of Anubias or Bucephalandra or Java Fern to get or where to place them in the aquarium, I have no idea how big or small any of the species get. Nor do I know how many plants to get and what I should spend.

This will be my first proper attempt at a planted tank so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Tommy :)

How big do Hygrophila Pinnatifida grow and where is the best place to put them ?

It grows on anything like rocks, wood, in the soil and freely in the water if you won’t cut the runners. It grows as big as you will let it. If trimmed often it will stay small. If you plant it in the soil it usually grows quicker and get bigger. Have a look in google that will give you some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It grows on anything like rocks, wood, in the soil and freely in the water if you won’t cut the runners. It grows as big as you will let it. If trimmed often it will stay small. If you plant it in the soil it usually grows quicker and get bigger. Have a look in google that will give you some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that :)

Can anyone else help with plant selections and sizes, and where to place them? Thanks :)

Narrow leaf java fern is a good one for the wood, and also trident fern is great one. I use both in my set up, also I use java moss which I have super glued on rocks and wood and grows like crazy. Anubias nana I have inbetween my rocks and buce wavy green all easy plants to start with.

Cheers, lee

Narrow leaf java fern is a good one for the wood, and also trident fern is great one. I use both in my set up, also I use java moss which I have super glued on rocks and wood and grows like crazy. Anubias nana I have inbetween my rocks and buce wavy green all easy plants to start with.

Cheers, lee

Thanks, how big do the java and trident ferns grow and how do yo keep them in trim? is there a specific way to trim them down?

Konrad is correct. Also you can dose a fertilizer aswel because these type plants take in the food through there roots and leaves through the water colum.

Cheers, lee

Depends what species you will get. You can get smaller or bigger ones. You controll their size by cutting the rhizomes.
Konrad is correct. Also you can dose a fertilizer aswel because these type plants take in the food through there roots and leaves through the water colum.

Cheers, lee

Thanks, Ive already got fertilizer and liquid carbon. I will be getting my plants from Aquarium Gardens one day this week. Do you think it would be a good idea to get Aquarium Gardens to pick the plants for me?

You could ask them what type of plants you are looking for. And they will help you for what is best for you and the type of tank you want.

Cheers, lee

You could ask them what type of plants you are looking for. And they will help you for what is best for you and the type of tank you want.

Cheers, lee

I was just on the phone with them bit disappointed as they weren't that helpful, just said pick what you want of the site, is there any other good shops online that sell plants cheap, I know my LFS hasn't got that much so I will have to buy online.

Ive took a big chance and ordered some plants don't have a clue of the size or anything just picked random plants lol :lol:, Ive no idea how this will turn out but it will get its chance. The plants I have bought are:-

Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green' 3 plants
Bucephalandra Theia Green 1 plant
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii 1 plant
Anubias nana 1 plant
Anubias nana Large 1 plant
Anubias Petite 1 plant
Anubias barteri var. barteri 1 plant
Anubias heterophylla 1 plant

Microsorum pteropus Windelov 2 plants
Java Fern Microsorum pteropus 2 plants
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow' 2 plants

Java Moss Portion Loose - Large
Christmas Moss Portion
Vesicularia Ferriei 'Weeping' Moss Portion

Do you think there is enough plants or do I need more? Are my choices anygood and will I be able to get a nice scape with them ?

No idea why my post is in Bold sorry about that.

Head over to Tropica Plants and select plants that grow on wood and rocks. When you think you know what you are after ask in the buy-sell-swap section of the forum. I'm sure someone will have some cuttings.

By the looks of it, all they are all slow growing and all attach to wood/rocks. Apart from the crypts. You can lay them all out in the places you want them in the tank and gradually add more as you go along I have done this over the last 2 month. Crypts are a beautiful plant but plant them in a soil based substrate. Hope this helps.

Cheers, lee

i remember seeing on george farmers youtube that he put monte carlo in between some rocks and that it would grow to drape down the rocks, if memory serves he mentioned that jurijs jutjajevs had shown it to him.

if you don't know much these two individuals youtube channels will be a great source of information.

Head over to Tropica Plants and select plants that grow on wood and rocks. When you think you know what you are after ask in the buy-sell-swap section of the forum. I'm sure someone will have some cuttings.

Too late Ive already ordered the plants I have listed above, have a look and tell me if Ive made a big mistake, I usually do I bought too big of wood and although it looked the same in the shop, when they are water logged they are 2 different colours so cant use both in the tank. I also bought about 10 kilos of dragon rock way too much lol, Im not very good at this :lol:

Back