• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with measuring KH using API test kit.

Zak Rafik

Hi everyone
I want to test my KH for my tank but I'm kind of not sure on one issue.

The test kit says to add the solution until it changes to yellow color. At the same time it says "bright yellow".

I know the solution is blue but my sample changes to a somewhat dull or dirty yellow after just 3 or 4 drops.

If I want a deep yellow, I have to add 5 or 6 drops.

So where do I stop? Is it once I see any trace of a yellow tint colour or a deep yellow. ?

Thank you.
Raffik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're trying figure it out so you can find out what your pH needs to be, you're wasting your time. Just up your CO2 SLOWLY until your fish start to look distressed.

Assume 5 drops Raffik and just carry on. Do not lose sleep over this. Trying to outsmart your test kits is simply not worth the energy.

Cheers,

Hi all,
Clive is right, "5 drops", but it really doesn't make any difference.

Technically because this is a (weak acid/weak base) titration, you should go to the "end point", that is when you reach a colour where another drop of reagent doesn't change the colour.

If the colour is the same at 6 drops ("deep yellow") as it was at 5 drops ("deep yellow"), 5 drops is the "end point".

cheers Darrel

Back