• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help! with glossotigma

Not necessarily as your plants will be utilising it, but if it goes yellow that could be a bit much for your fish so keep an eye out on them although many folk choose to run close to yellow. If the fish look as though they getting stressed then of course turn it down and aerate the water until the fish look good again.
You will quickly find a happy medium with your C02 rate and turn on time. Aerating when the lights go off is also recommended.
Ok so I've change the co2 to come on 3 hours before light comes on light turns on at 7pm when I home from work so I can check for lime green. that means light would be on until 2am lol tank is by my bed btw. I will keep you guys updated

Cheers ryan

Initially try and time it so you are awake during the potential danger time. My CO2 comes on at about 10am, lights on at 12.30 with fade up, mid day peak for three to four hours from 15h00 and then fade down from 20h30 to 21h00. 'Moon light' from 21h00 to 22.30, so I can enjoy the fish and tank for at least four to five hours after work. Your C02 can switch off at least and hour before lights off probably earlier. I then aerate through the the night from 21h00.

ok guys I stayed home today and I adjust the co2 to come on for 3 hours before light.
co2 come on 4pm and light 7pm by 10pm the co2 was too much, drop checker was lime green/yellow and fish are on top of the water line :nailbiting:
I turn it down and will see how it goes tomorrow.
I did notice other plants was pearling as I only seen them pearl when the filter are turn off. this is a good thing right?

Good, at least you were home, hope fishies all ok..

Yeah with filter off and no flow you always see the pearling much more..

Increasing the surface agitation and flow keeps Co2 levels safer for the fish as it moves Oxygen depleted water to the surface and circulates oxygenated water through the tank, but let's see what the experts have to say...

hi guys
just a little update. it has been nearly 2 week since I change a few thing around.
I change the light to come on when I get home and every day the drop checker had been green/lime green
but still no runners yet. glossostigma has gone taller a thicker, is this the time I should trim it?
AI1UhEU.jpg

Again, this is a lack of c02 at substrate level. You need more at substrate level. The reason plants get leggy is due to a hormone called ethylene that builds up with lack of flow and c02. This is a classic sign.

Reactions: tim
Again, this is a lack of c02 at substrate level. You need more at substrate level. The reason plants get leggy is due to a hormone called ethylene that builds up with lack of flow and c02. This is a classic sign.

No CO2...........you should see new growth asap, a week or two tops. CO2 issue here. Without CO2 issues:

I have to disagree with Tom and Ian. I think high CO2 is necessary to keep glosso alive, to make it grow like it looks in Toms tank, it needs more light. I don't think this is a CO2 issue. I've a tank full of glosso. It is on a pH controller. I can keep CO2 the same, flow the same, but by reducing light (I always do this when I'm out for over 2 weeks) I get the same growth as you. By increasing the light again, it looks like Toms last picture, after about a month. So I normally don't advice more light, but in this case I think you'll need it. Keep in mind, that with more light, CO2 and flow get even more important!

I have to disagree with Tom and Ian. I think high CO2 is necessary to keep glosso alive, to make it grow like it looks in Toms tank, it needs more light. I don't think this is a CO2 issue. I've a tank full of glosso. It is on a pH controller. I can keep CO2 the same, flow the same, but by reducing light (I always do this when I'm out for over 2 weeks) I get the same growth as you. By increasing the light again, it looks like Toms last picture, after about a month. So I normally don't advice more light, but in this case I think you'll need it. Keep in mind, that with more light, CO2 and flow get even more important!
Hi yo han
I running 4x39w but Im only using 2 bulb atm should I turn on another bulb and see how it go?

Light ime is not an issue with glosso...

9IL3kxD.jpg

The glosso in my scape was grown under 2x 18w t8's. Very low light, but high c02.

Reactions: tim

Sorry, I think what I wrote is confused here, I wanted to state that not enough CO2 was the issue.
Not enough vs No CO2.

Gloss can easily be grown at low light. 30-40 umols.

I'd say the OP has too much current if anything.
Take those rocks out and peroxide them.

Back