• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with choosing species.

pc566

Seedling
hi all, i'm starting my first planted tank after years of being too scared to use real plants. a problem i'm having is choosing the right plants, there arn't any good shops within walking distance (i dont drive) so i can't see any first hand. ideally i'm looking for fast growing species, one being in the foreground, something that looks like grass or some other carpeting plant. for the background i'm looking for something bigger, broader leaves probably growing to around 35cm tall.

my tank is cold water, 18-23 Celsius and the substrates are normal gravel but i will be putting sand in one area to accommodate the smaller foreground plants if that is advisable.

i really appreciate any help, cheers.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Have a look at the Tropica website, especially their catalog: http://www.tropica.com/home.aspx

You can also browse the aquascaping, journal, or gallery sections and ask identification of plants that you see.

If you're just starting out then you'd want to have a go with some stem plants. Anything in the Hygrophila family, and the popular, less demanding Ludwigia family. Anubius will be fine for a foreground but they can stay on top of a rock or small piece of wood. No need for sand unless you like to see the sand. Mosses would also do well up front. Ferns aren't as fast growing but do look nice.

Cheers,

Back