• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with Black worm culture

Bhavik

I currently bought a small black worm culture to keep myself and get them to mulitple and feed my fish.
The current setup i have is a long tank with gravel at the bottom with a sponge filter and the tank filled about half way.
I am unsure on the temp i have read on some place it should be cold whereas some say between 20C to 25C. I would think around 20C should be good as this well make them more active and want to spilt but correct me if i am wrong?

Also any tips on how to get them to split more quickly?

Thanks

Hi all,

I don't attempt to fragment mine, I just leave them get on with it. I don't know what you are feeding them with, but I use the <"Hornwort method"> and if I want to bulk them up, a small amount of cooked veg. and / or spirulina flake.

cheers Darrel
Hey in terms of feeding I put in a few granules of whatever I have on hand
In terms of the hornwort method do you just leave some in there and they will then eat that?
I have a few Malaysian snails in the tank too

Hi all,
In terms of the hornwort method do you just leave some in there and they will then eat that?
I assume they eat the plant as the leaves are shed, and the plant itself maintains water quality. There are probably better options than Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), but my "spare" cultures <"are outside in buckets"> (below), so it has to be a plant that is hardy in the UK.

hornwort_bucket-jpg.jpg

Hornwort is so effective in maintaining water quality that I've found a lot of Damselfly larvae in the buckets this autumn (but not a lot else).
<"Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella)">

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I assume they eat the plant as the leaves are shed, and the plant itself maintains water quality. There are probably better options than Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), but my "spare" cultures <"are outside in buckets"> (below), so it has to be a plant that is hardy in the UK.

View attachment 213534

Hornwort is so effective in maintaining water quality that I've found a lot of Damselfly larvae in the buckets this autumn (but not a lot else).
<"Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella)">

cheers Darrel
Ok thanks I’ve ordered some hornwort so let see how they get on once they arrive
Thanks

Back