• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help stopping reflections in bare bottom tank

Bhavik

Currently bought some discus which I have put in a bare botton tank until they get a bit bigger to put in the main tank.

However it seems like they see themselves in the reflections at the bottom of the tank and almost try to follow themselves. It’s distracting them from me as they get flip out everytime I come and food that I put in the tank at times so question is how do I stop the reflections?

And quick cheap solutions? Not sure if I wanna paint the bottom

Was thinking that but because they are quite messy and it’s a grow out tank and easy to clean wanted it to be empty at the bottom

Was thinking that but because they are quite messy and it’s a grow out tank and easy to clean wanted it to be empty at the bottom
I know what you mean having been there myself. I used some 3-4mm gravel, weighty enough to not be easily sucked out when siphoning and doesn't pile unlike thin sand. You don't need much, its only to break the reflections up and doesn't have to be complete layer and definitely does not want to be layers.

I know what you mean having been there myself. I used some 3-4mm gravel, weighty enough to not be easily sucked out when siphoning and doesn't pile unlike thin sand. You don't need much, its only to break the reflections up and doesn't have to be complete layer and definitely does not want to be layers.
i only have black gravel but im scared of it causing peppering on the discus... Is this temporary or will it stay once moved to a brighter background?
I was thinking if that is a no go to put a lightly coloured towel underneath the tank but not sure if that would work?

Thanks

Back in the day I saw a friend of mine using a fitted bamboo table runner such as this with some potted plants on top... Easy to remove and clean. May have to soak for a while before it sinks...

Cheers,
Michael

Maybe a 3mm rubber mat can work...
The type u would use in the kitchen cabinet drawers
I wouldn't use this as it could well leach chemicals!

Currently bought some discus which I have put in a bare botton tank until they get a bit bigger to put in the main tank.

However it seems like they see themselves in the reflections at the bottom of the tank and almost try to follow themselves. It’s distracting them from me as they get flip out everytime I come and food that I put in the tank at times so question is how do I stop the reflections?

And quick cheap solutions? Not sure if I wanna paint the bottom
You could use slate tiles....might be lucky and find a size that fits the width of the bottom.
You will still have to remove them periodically to clean under them.
Or drain the tank and use a piece of Yoga mat underneath.

You could use slate tiles....
I thought of this as well, and I like the idea. The biggest obstacle would be the cleaning part having to remove every individual tile. I actually think the bamboo mat/runner inside the tank (or some other appropriate organic material) is pretty neat. Again, gotta make sure its not treated with anything that will leach.

Cheers,
Michael

+1 for the sand. Only needs to be a dusting. I use play pit sand with my cory fry/juveniles. At £4 a bag even if you syphon some out it and need to replace it, it's not going to cost much.
I think debris will end up accumulating under a mat/tile and removing it every time you need to clean will disturb the discus.

Not sure if it’s available in the UK, but here in the US we have plastic spray paint. It can easily be peeled off after it’s dry if necessary. It’s called PlastiDip here, I’m sure there’s something similar by you guys.

Not sure if it’s available in the UK, but here in the US we have plastic spray paint.
This is 2024... of course they have plastic spray paint in Europe (well, technically the UK choose not to be part of Europe on their on peril ... like if Minnesota would succeed from the Union) Ok, I'm just being coy, but good point. Problem is that OP will have to drain the tank to do that.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,
If I were to go down the save route would play sand work?
It is what I use.
But says it’s not suitable because its has silca in it?
I don't understand what you mean. Play sand is made of <"rounded quartz grains"> (silicon dioxide (SIO2)) and is exactly what you want. The higher the proportion of SIO2 the better.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It is what I use.

I don't understand what you mean. Play sand is made of <"rounded quartz grains"> (silicon dioxide (SIO2)) and is exactly what you want. The higher the proportion of SIO2 the better.

cheers Darrel
Was just reading the question’s and it said this
IMG_6098.png

I would go for light dusting of sand but if really don't want that ,would this work? A piece of non reflective glass like used for photographs. Could be cut less than "dead size " with polished edges, Check with a glass manufacturer maybe?

Back