• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Required: Beginner Plant Issues

Stitch

Hi,

Can some of you more experienced members please take a look at my photos and try to steer me in the right direction into getting my tank on the right path?

It's my first tank and I am kind of learning as i'm going along.

Tank is around 2 to 3 months old: Juwel Rio 400 (125 gallons).
CO2 is pressurised with large Ceramic diffuser drop checker looks good. I will be moving to a AM1000 Reactor in the next few weeks.
External Eheim filter with 3,400 lph pump to full length 1.3m spray bar
EI dosing: 1tsp KNo3, 1tsp KH2PO4, 3tsp MgSO4 (3 times week). 1/2 tsp trace (2 times week)
50% water change each week
Lighting: 2 x T5 54watt (6 hours) back bulbs for 3 hours then front bulbs for 3 hours
Temp naturally between 25 and 27. No heater but keep AC on to bring back to 25
Room has a lot of natural light but no direct sunlight

Old growth appears to be browning. I trimmed and new growth is a nice lighter green.
img4369b.jpg

Some of the lower leaves are turning brown or have brown spots
img4373fd.jpg

I seem to get a weekly build up of algae on the glass.
img4374au.jpg

Newer leaves on this plant seem ok but lower leaves are slowly getting brown edges. Also getting green spots on the rocks.
img4376h.jpg

Stryogne repens with same issue. Browning lower leaves and lighter top leaves
img4377f.jpg

This plant (right in the middle) is getting brown tentacles, i'm guessing these are not roots
img4378w.jpg

Here is a full tank shot. Flow appears to be good in the tank and plants are swaying
img4382i.jpg

Thanks for looking. Welcome any feedback.

Not really sure where to go from here. Will the plants come back to health? Will the brown leaves start to cause problems in the tank? I guess I could pull out the plants, trim them up and have another go at replanting the good parts.

Let me know if you need more information.

beautiful tank! My knowledge on plants is horrific so this is just my best guess! the plant with the tentacles im nearly 100% sure they are roots......... i dont know what type of plant it is but thats how a lot of plants repopulate. as far as the others go im not experienced enough but im sure someone will come along :)

Hi Stitch
The plants you purchased have most probably been grown emersed.
So its going to take them time to transform to the submerged plant.
I would wait till you have some decent new growth then trim the tops off and discard the lower part of the plant, re-plant the tops.
Saying that you may have a Co2 distribution issue....what colour is the drop checker and where is it positioned.
The Java Fern is doing well it produces frond like strands when its happy :D
It will eventually grow dark spots on its leaves and these will produce baby plantlets :thumbup:
hoggie

Looks like co2 distribution as a lot of the affected leaves seem to be lower down. Using one glass diffuser in a tank that big would prove pretty difficult. I've had the jewel vision 450 and the glass diffusers didnt do much.
You may see a big difference with the am1000 or an up inline atomiser as an alternative. The am1000 will drop flow massively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alastair said:
Looks like co2 distribution as a lot of the affected leaves seem to be lower down. Using one glass diffuser in a tank that big would prove pretty difficult. I've had the jewel vision 450 and the glass diffusers didnt do much.
You may see a big difference with the am1000 or an up inline atomiser as an alternative. The am1000 will drop flow massively
As Alastair stated
If your regulator can be adjusted to 1.7bar and above I would purchase a UP inline atomiser and rig up to your outlet tube.
I have no knowledge on Co2 reactors so can't comment on them.
hoggie

krazypara3165 said:
beautiful tank! My knowledge on plants is horrific so this is just my best guess! the plant with the tentacles im nearly 100% sure they are roots......... i dont know what type of plant it is but thats how a lot of plants repopulate. as far as the others go im not experienced enough but im sure someone will come along :)
Thanks. I believe this plant is Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'. I can't seem to find anything about tentacles. Could this be a type of algae?

hogan53 said:
Hi Stitch
The plants you purchased have most probably been grown emersed.
So its going to take them time to transform to the submerged plant.
I would wait till you have some decent new growth then trim the tops off and discard the lower part of the plant, re-plant the tops.
Hi, the plants were purchased from Tropica. I'm not sure if they grow emersed or not. I think once the new growth gets to a reasonable size I may try uprooting, trimming and replanting.

hogan53 said:
Saying that you may have a Co2 distribution issue....what colour is the drop checker and where is it positioned.
I have 2 drop checkers, 1 at each end. They are both blue each morning. CO2 comes on 2 hours before lights on. To be honest they are probably dark green at lights on and settle into a nice light green maybe after 1 hour more. I'm not always home during the full light cycle so hesitant to increase CO2 without being able to monitor the fish.

hogan53 said:
The Java Fern is doing well it produces frond like strands when its happy :D
It will eventually grow dark spots on its leaves and these will produce baby plantlets :thumbup:
hoggie

Alastair said:
So you do not think the brown on the leaves is algae? I guess it could be CO2 but I find this surprising as the CO2 is actually at it's best at the bottom. The bubbles rise from the diffuser to the spray bar which fires them across the tank and straight down to the bottom and finally into the plants. It looks like plenty of CO2 is reaching these brown leaves.
Should I be worried about the algae on the glass? Or just keep wiping/scraping this off?

Alastair said:
How massive are we talking? Are Up Atomisers ok for 450 litre tanks?
My current regulator is from Aqua Medic with a fixed pressure of 1 bar. Would this cause problems?

Up atomisers are fine for that size tank I ran just one on my 450 litre I also went down the DIY reactor root too with minimal flow loss ( even on an fx5) and didnt have any co2 bubbles in the tank.
The am1000 drops flow I couldn't give a figure to be precise regarding how much flow was lost but it was noticeable.
If you did opt for that remove the black bio balls from inside and this will allow better flow through. The bio balls inside really aren't needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I agree with the other posters that this is a CO2 and possibly flow issue all the way. You dropchecker should be lime green to slightly yellow at least, when the lights go ON. This is the most critical time for CO2. It actually would be better for you if the the color patter you describe was reversed. Dark green by the end of the day and light green in the beginning of the day works better that the current pattern.

As mentioned, if your AM1000 has input/output spuds that are smaller than your filter outlet then you are losing flow. You can take the bio-balls out and you will improve flow and actually improve the performance of the AM1000. All those balls create resistance to flow. They also collect dirt, further reducing flow.

Cheers,

My question pertains to hours of light.

Why is it that the light should only be on for a specific amount of time.

I have been told 8 to 12 hours a day, but in the real world, the sun blooms for
approx. 12 - 18 hours a day in some parts?

So why in the aquarium it should only be 8-12 hours?

My aquarium store told me only 8 hours....
I am using (1) T8 full spectrum daylight bulb in a 30G. So
what is the REAL Answer?

Plants in the amazon for example, will only receive dappled light for those hours, not bright direct light from a bulb only 2 foot away. It's also got to do with depths of water and co2 availability too.

Look at your stems, when they've had enough for the day, the heads on rotala etc. close back up.

Darrel and Clive will sort this in more detail I imagine.

Yellow and withering leaves in some areas, brown spots on rocks, I agree with Clive, that it is a CO2 and flow issue. Also you might need to adjust the NPK routine. I dose at least that amount of dry ferts and I have only got 190 litres in my tank. Although having said that I still mix mine into a solution rather than chucking it by the teaspoon.

My CO2 is via a glass diffuser in the tank situated directly below the inlet pipe for the filter so most of it is sucked up and sprayed around the tank. My regulator is controlled by a PH sensor which some people don't like but it works for me. About 100 bubbles per minute through the drop checker, like Clive says light green to yellow when lights come on dark green at the end of the day.

Other than that your tank does look really nice. Those long brown tentacles are definitely roots by the way.

Cheers

Steve

I am using liquid fertilizer twice a week along with a liquid CO2.

As a bigginner I have got so many conflicting recomendations. For instance to use co2 and not to use it or to use a DIY co2 or not...

So I figured I would just try liquid co2 for now. How often to add co2 and fertilizer?

ceg4048 said:
Hi, I agree with the other posters that this is a CO2 and possibly flow issue all the way. You dropchecker should be lime green to slightly yellow at least, when the lights go ON. This is the most critical time for CO2. It actually would be better for you if the the color patter you describe was reversed. Dark green by the end of the day and light green in the beginning of the day works better that the current pattern.
Thanks for the replies. I do plan on making some changes to the CO2 in the next couple of weeks, leaning towards the AM1000 minus the bio balls at the moment. Once that is improved, using the drop checkers, i'll wait and see if flow is still an issue.

REDSTEVEO said:
Yellow and withering leaves in some areas, brown spots on rocks, I agree with Clive, that it is a CO2 and flow issue. Also you might need to adjust the NPK routine. I dose at least that amount of dry ferts and I have only got 190 litres in my tank. Although having said that I still mix mine into a solution rather than chucking it by the teaspoon.
Hesitant to increase the Ferts at the moment but will bear in mind. Cheers.

REDSTEVEO said:
Other than that your tank does look really nice. Those long brown tentacles are definitely roots by the way.
Thanks, and thanks for the confirmation on the tentacles.

Ziabis said:
I am using liquid fertilizer twice a week along with a liquid CO2.
As a bigginner I have got so many conflicting recomendations. For instance to use co2 and not to use it or to use a DIY co2 or not...
So I figured I would just try liquid co2 for now. How often to add co2 and fertilizer?
Ziabis, easy on the thread jack mate. Just kidding :D I see from your Sig that you have a 30G. You may want to be careful using advice in this thread as it's aimed at a much larger tank.
I will say that from spending a lot of time reading this forum it is clear that CO2, water flow and fertilisers are the key for success. Light comes a dead last, should be used sparingly, and only increased once a balance has been established. From what I can tell liquid CO2 and ferts are ok on smaller tanks but dry ferts and pressurised CO2 are best for larger tanks.

Hi Stitch and Others,

1. Stitch, can you please raport if these advises were good for you? It is very important to hear feedback, bacause there are other users that read all this posts and have similar problems. However, there are many forum treads that are without any conclusions, just with planty of advices. It's hard to get knowledge from that.

2. I've got exactly similar problem, exept my tank is 30l. I even could reupload your images.
Here is my aquarium setup:
30x30x35 Nano Aquarium - 30l
Lamp: 26W (Solar Duo Boy http://www.aquatic-nature.be/eng_duoboy.html ) I tern it on for 8 hours.
Filtration: Tetra EX 400 with Ball Pipe
Temperature: 24C
CO2: Pressured into DIY TermoReactor made from Inline Aquafilter with Heater. I add 3 bouble per second od C02 3 hours before the light turns on. (C02 KH4 test is almost yellow and second CO2 KH6 test is lime green). If I measure C02 in table I get 53-60ppm of CO2:
Soil: Aquatic Nature Pro Soil
Roks: 8kg

Flora:
Riccia Fluitans
Rotala indica
hemianthus micranthemoides
hemianthus callitrichoides cuba
Cladophora aegagropila
Fauna:
10x Shrimp White Pearl

Fertilizers:
Dry Salts
EasyLife ProFito, Carbo, and Ferro
Dosing Method: Full classic EI 7x a week.

Problems:
1. Old leaves of Hemiantus Cuba (some plants has 3 months and others 2 weeks) are getting brown. However, new leaves are growing well.

Hi,

Yes, I am very grateful for the feedback and have no doubts now that my issues are CO2 & flow related.

I'm going to try and switch over from a large Ceramic diffuser to a large Atomizer. Just waiting for the bits and bobs to arrive in the next week or so.

To be honest, from the distance I view the tank I'm really happy with how things are right now. I'm just trying to get it a bit more polished and nicer to look at up close. This forum has helped me pretty much from the start a few months ago.

Sorry but I would have no idea on your tank. I've been advised to make sure the drop checker is light green to yellow right at lights on. Even move it around the tank to ensure equal distribution. Also the water flow is very important. Make sure it's flowing in 1 direction all the way around the tank (swirling) rather than flowing in 1 area of the tank. Can you see plenty of movement at the floor?

Guys,

Seems the harder I try the worse things get. I'd really welcome any input as its getting a bit demoralising to be honest.

About 7 or 8 weeks ago I moved from a ceramic diffuser to an inline large UP Atomizer. Regulator was increased to 36 psi as recommended and I quickly got it tuned in to give lime green drop check at lights on, then slowly moves towards yellow before lights off. This has been consistent since install.

From what I can tell flow appears to be good and a consistent fog of tiny bubbles is moving fully around the tank from the full length spray bar. All plants appear to be moving or swaying in the flow.

I slowly removed 1/2 filter material and ALL fine filter pads to try and stop flow being restricted. Pump is 3,400 litres and tank is 450 litres so I know it's not quite at the 10x rule.

I'm dosing the following, and never missed a dose:
1tsp KNO3 (3 times a week)
1tsp KH2PO4 (3 times a week)
3tsp MgSO4 (3 times a week)
1/2 tsp Trace (2 times a week)
50% weekly water change

Leaves continue to turn brown, decay, fall etc. leaving bare stems. Stryogne repens all melted away and appeared to die, so were removed. I've also had to remove other plants.

Here you can see brown dots appearing on leaves and also decaying parts:
img4631ha.jpg

Java Fern turning brown:
img4632m.jpg

Here you can see all lower leaves have decayed and gone leaving bare stems:
img4633x.jpg

I've tried re-planting the new green tops but these quickly develop the same brown spots. I guess they'll soon be on their way out:
img4634bt.jpg

In contrast, this is my nano Betta tank. It's been running about 3 or 4 months and I have never added 1 drop of fertiliser in this. Plants appear to be growing slowly and staying green:
img4639u.jpg

Here is a video to try and show the circular flow in the tank. Quality not great though and doesn't do it justice:

Going forward, i've ordered 2 small hydor koralia nano 900 pumps and will give them a go (installed at each end pointing towards the glass). Probably install in about 4 weeks time.

Might sound stupid but is there a chance the problem could be with my dry ferts? I purchased from a local flower shop and they were given in clear bags with marker labels. Is there anyway to test they are what they say they are?

Thanks for reading guys.

Forgot to mention:

Lights are:
3 hours back 2 bulbs
3 hours front 2 bulbs

The only algae I can see is the green spots on the glass which needs manually removing every 2 to 3 weeks (not too bad).

Agreed. All the symptoms you listed are strictly due to poor CO2. If flow/distribution is confirmed to be adequate then there needs to be an injection rate increase or better timing of the gas being turned on relative to the light. You can also supplement the CO2 with daily liquid carbon. Our sponsor AE sell their version of Excel for less £.

Cheers,

Back