• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Indentifying plant deficiency please

•Cai•

Hi all,
Can one of you experts out there tell me what's going on with my tennellus please?
3B40B3DA-C626-49FE-9E23-72766F744449_zpszdrxmq5b.jpg
I have 2of these in opposite sides of tank and both show similar signs.
•Im currently dosing standard ei (macro + micro)
•I'm injecting co2 at a high rate until recently as I've added some livestock.(problems occurred prior to the tailback of co2)
•high flow from my fluval 305
•light is at full which is 24w led
•substrate is Ada Amazonia
•tank has been running for nearly 4weejs now after a 8week dry start.
Cheers

Could be iron.

Would be helpful to see new and old growth of all other plants and a fts if possible...

My weekly ei ferts
1F057F3C-FE2A-41C9-A8C4-D078A4A24368_zpsi3l4ue6b.png

I also do 2 water changes a week at 50% of a 60ltr tank.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 20ppm
Flow high: fluval 305
Co2 injected with inline atomizer
Ph: 7.4/7.5 down to 6.9/7.0
Kh: 12
Gh: 30

Hi all,
A lot of people will say it is shortage of CO2, but because it is the new leaves, and they have gone "glassy", it may be a deficiency of a non-motile element. The two most likely options are calcium (Ca++) and iron (Fe+++).

If your water is hard? you can discount calcium, if it is very soft, then calcium deficiency is an option. You could add some CaCl2.

The analysis of ADA Amazonia is here: <"http://aquascaping.flowgrow.de/aquascaping/naehrstoffe/item/111-ada-aqua-soil-analyse"> It shows it has a huge amount of iron present, but it may be bound and insoluble (the situation in lateritic soils).

Even if you are dosing iron, you could end up with an iron deficiency by two mechanisms.

The first is your substrate, iron (Fe+++) is the most strongly bound ion in cation exchange, and it maybe that the Fe+++ ions are being sequestered by the active substrate.

The other possibility relates to pH, in hard water iron forms insoluble compounds. if your water is soft and acidic, then you can discount the iron forming insoluble iron hydroxides or iron phosphates.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,
I have hard water as you can see. It takes a lot of co2 to drop my ph I have to say. I do use Amazonia as you have stated.
I would strongly say it isn't calcium deficient. So probably go with iron. How would I remedy this? Add extra iron into my trace mix possibly?

7F46E928-600E-4FFD-86F8-B3E390FDEAF0_zps1brvggbc.jpg
This is part of my water from water board. 2nd line down is of my iron. Perhaps this may aid

Thanks @dw1305. Ye everything else seems to be doing fine. Rotala and tennellus are the ones showing definite signs of some deficiency which I do strongly believe is iron, even after reading that thread suggesting most other times it's not iron as we don't need a lot. I've been getting a full unit drop in ph and drop checker has been yellow before I've turned it down for adding livestock. I've followed ei recipe to how reccommended. Light is good and flow is high. The growth of all plants has been excellent barring the signs on the mentioned plants. I may buy some premixed solution from the nutrient company and add 5ml of that once a week as directed on top of my ei dosing. Would that be ok or would there be potential problems? The tennellus and rotala are both sending out runners and new growth so they are happy in Generel, apart from something else a miss. Ie, iron. My plan is il dose extra iron and watch plants reaction for couple weeks and then I can then go from there.

Back