• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello to all 10 years of Tropical here

TigerBarb

Seedling
Hi guys,

I am in the process of potentially reworking my main tank which is a modest 125ltr tropical community. I also have 90 ltr as well. Was looking around for some potential inspiration for reworking my current tank and found this site which seems a decent and knowledgeable community.

Not sure how involved I will generally be but its good to introduce if youve taken the time to sign up for something so hello to all.

Will post seperately about ideas for the tank, currently its just a fairly standard community tank with some bogwood and a few generic plants, but it would be good I think at this stage to consider a more designed setup.

Cheers.

I do need to sort it out currently... this was the tank in 2015

B7QQQxPIcAATyip.jpg

And this is the tank about a month ago... so yeah.., I have some work to do.

CwVnTohWEAA8tDY.jpg

Hi all,
I have some work to do.
It looks OK.

I have a question about the two green spiky plants, either side of the "Ozelot" type Echinodorus, and the plant with the metallic leaves in front of the Echinodorus. Are they recent additions?

I'm pretty sure the metallic leaved plant is <"Hemigraphis alternata">, it is sold as an aquatic plant, but it won't live submerged long term.

My thought with the spiky leaved plants were that they might be <"Ophiopogon">, another non-aquatic sold for aquariums, but there are number of similar plants that are true aquatics, so we would need a closer look.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It looks OK.

I have a question about the two green spiky plants, either side of the "Ozelot" type Echinodorus, and the plant with the metallic leaves in front of the Echinodorus. Are they recent additions?

I'm pretty sure the metallic leaved plant is <"Hemigraphis alternata">, it is sold as an aquatic plant, but it won't live submerged long term.

My thought with the spiky leaved plants were that they might be <"Ophiopogon">, another non-aquatic sold for aquariums, but there are number of similar plants that are true aquatics, so we would need a closer look.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that clarification Darrel on the spikey plant, youre right they were new additions and they did not last long. Its frustrating shops would sell plants unsuitable, ultimately its my responsibility as a buyer.

This is why I am here, learning and improving my knowledge thank you!

Also I am thinking of potentially redesigning this whole tank, please read on here: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/125ltr-tropical-tank-refresh-ideas.48607/

Last edited:
Hi all,
youre right they were new additions and they did not last long. Its frustrating shops would sell plants unsuitable, ultimately its my responsibility as a buyer.
I'll be honest, it <"really p*sses me off">, and I don't think it should be up to the consumer.

I think that the shops that sell these plants as "aquatic plants" are in <"breach of the law">, because it is false advertising, and they are not fit for purpose.

cheers Darrel

It's one of my pet hates too...I once stuck my neck out at Pets 'R' Us and tried to explain to a customer that the plants she was being sold were terrestrial and that they'd die and rot, she looked at me like I was on day release from the asylum:wacky:...you can lead a horse to water...:meh:

I usualy see those plants mainly at Dennerle dealers.. Dennerle also grows a collection of Terrarium plants.. Darrel is right, but it happens all the time everywhere. I even pointed it out to a clerk working at such a shop and he replied "I know i'm just working here." Unbelievable, but true, staff a crook, employees have no other choice if they want to keep their job.. So if you see Dennerle on the name tag in a shop, then first go home and visite Dennerle Plants Data base click on the desired plant and it slides down with some general info.. You see "Usage" - "Terrarium" or "Aquarium". It's a pitty, but obviously necessary for us to check this.

And also Dennerle needs a slap on the wrist.. But likey have a good sneaky excuse to get away with it pointing to their website..

Front lable
DSCF8197 (Kopie).jpg

Backside same lable
DSCF8198 (Kopie).jpg

:shifty: Even beter find a tropica dealer, screw Dennerle.. :thumbup:

Back