• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green thread algae

Not so much, both can grow at rather low par, but it kinda depends on how much patience you have. :) Can't tell you how much, but this is one of mine both growing together, Fissidens and Buce in my low tech.. Pretty low light all i know. Actualy i even didn't plant the Fissidens there myself, it's all over the tank after 2 years now. Even this Buce shows new young growth and its for about 6 months in this tank now . This one gets shaded bij plants above it and floating vegitation.Impossible to take pics from this tank without a flash. F8 shutterspeed 20 and flash and it's still a bad picture.
DSCF9753 (Large).jpg

:) It's mi only Buce not growing BBA, in the other tank it was planted closer to the surface without any coverage and received much more light and alwasy strulging with BBA.

Not so much, both can grow at rather low par, but it kinda depends on how much patience you have.

My tank is grown now how I like it if I can slow down its growth that would be awesome. Less maintenance! I also have some h. tripartita and crypt parva not sure if this plants like "very" low light.

Someone told me to peak the light only for 2 hours a day at 100% for plant growth and the rest just for viewing light.

doing a similar schedule with my lights ATM too, pretty low when lights first on 30mins then just lowish for an hour or so, then pretty high for about 2hrs them dims back to lowish for rest of photo period. Not been doing it long. Plus have the TC420 set for very low when lights not on, still use a timer so that I can have lights on very low for extra viewing or WC/trimming. Have tested the TC420 and it kept time spot on for over a week with no power on it

Same tank :) Low tech Low light Crypt parva.
DSCF9759.jpg

It stays very small, it propagates by runners but very very slow. It also takes a very long time to establish in such low conditions. It took about 18 months to show any propagation. Very hard to recognize darn glass reflection, but left on the wood and right between te rocks is growing a patch of Fissidens..

I am thinking about to add a few amano shrimp maybe they can help me and save some maintenance (in terms of removing green thread algae). I think all the co2 in the world would not even help me getting no green thread algae. My tank has low / slow growing plantmass which might be the problem. My first idea was to add 100 more rcs but probably waste they being ineffective in the war.

What can happen with the amano's? Will they eat some moss if they are hungry? Are they able to put fissidens moss of my lava rocks? As they are pretty strong..

Could the green thread algae ruin my scape long term? Plan is to run this tank at least 1 more year. I would also like to reuse my lava rocks with fissidens on it. This could be a bad start with introducing green thread algae in the new scape. Any tips for this?

Amano's don't realy feed on life moss, at least mine never did. Adding a few wont realy help much, tho i don't know what is a few for you, but under 10 in 50 litre tank isn't realy doing a lot. Problem is if it's an open top, adding more they tend to jump during racing time. They are to expensive for that.
Yes hair algae can grow out of control, you have to stay on top of it. Beeing consistend and with patience you finaly will get it under control. Algae and moss always is a hassle you will always loose moss in the process.

Another cheaper option is Black molly, they are realy good algae eaters, but also hooligans, if it's in the moss they also destroy parts of that with pulling the algae out. Fortunnately they are cheap and not jumpers. I did put in a group for a while and after the algae problem was clearing i gave them all away for free again. That's the only way to get rid of mollies, asking a penny nobody comes, advertise with pick up for free all were gone within 2 days. Free is a magic word i got spamed like hell for a week with questions about them. :)

Amano's don't realy feed on life moss, at least mine never did. Adding a few wont realy help much, tho i don't know what is a few for you, but under 10 in 50 litre tank isn't realy doing a lot. Problem is if it's an open top, adding more they tend to jump during racing time. They are to expensive for that.
Yes hair algae can grow out of control, you have to stay on top of it. Beeing consistend and with patience you finaly will get it under control. Algae and moss always is a hassle you will always loose moss in the process.

Another cheaper option is Black molly, they are realy good algae eaters, but also hooligans, if it's in the moss they also destroy parts of that with pulling the algae out. Fortunnately they are cheap and not jumpers. I did put in a group for a while and after the algae problem was clearing i gave them all away for free again. That's the only way to get rid of mollies, asking a penny nobody comes, advertise with pick up for free all were gone within 2 days. Free is a magic word i got spamed like hell for a week with questions about them. :)

In my previous scape they never jumped. Tank is 128L How many do I need of them for effect?

Problem with the black mollies Idk if I can catch them when the Job is done w/o blowing all the trees apart lol.

Yeah free on marktplaats is instant spam. I know

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back