• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green thread algae

Nigel95

Atm having some green thread algae in my fissidens moss carpet. It is not destroying my tank but if I can get rid of it that would save some maintenance. Higher co2 = shrimp dieing, lower co2 = shrimp a live but more green thread algae. Drop checker is lime green. Using a jbl inline atomizer. Daily tropica spec ferts (2 pumps a day) and low light around 30 par (par was around 40 before but raised the light to see if this has any effect on the algae). Should I go back to glass diffuser? Idk but something makes me think the atomizer isn't working very well (still drop checker is green) just a feeling. Tank is 128L.

Last edited:
Only use the DC as a rough guide myself to the CO2 levels, they are so slow to change. Much prefer a pH probe, much faster with the result of any changes. You could pick up a pH Pen so to can monitor slight increases in the CO2 injection rate and the effect on [CO2] making sure it has plateaued to the increase and the CRS are fine and not still increasing over time with corresponding increasing [CO2].

The one in the link is the one I got to backup my pH controller, Son has the pH pen ATM :rolleyes:

Be a shame to lose that Shrimp colony you have:banghead:

What about turning the light down photoperiod or intensity. How long before lights on are you having your CO2 come on. Most folk have it 2hrs. But on my 50l tank it takes 3hrs to get a 1.0pH drop. Its lights on when the pH drop/[CO2] needs to be at its optimum plus if you can its worth having a slightly lower light intensity for first 30mins whilst the plants get use to photosynthesize optimally.

Then theres Liquid CO2 you could use also.

I would go with decreasing the light with your tank at first. You tank pics always look great IMO

Good idea

What about turning the light down photoperiod or intensity. How long before lights on are you having your CO2 come on. Most folk have it 2hrs

Been raising the lights higher but no effect. I only turn my co2 1 hour before lights on. Increased it to 2 hours now. Thanks for tip.

Then theres Liquid CO2 you could use also.

Isn't moss sensitive to this?

You tank pics always look great IMO

Thanks Zeus ;)

Isn't moss sensitive to this?

some are I think but no expert myself, have a few bits of moss in main tank but not much think its christmas moss. But yes some ferns and mosses are sensitive I think,With all your moss I wouldn't chance it,

Found this True/False: liquid carbon kills moss?

Re the Light is it the
Light unit
CRI 90
1320 lumens

does the light it work in the 12 to 24volt range ? if so you could get a TC420 to dim the light if the LED chips are dimmable ofc. The TC420 is a great piece of kit very happy with mine.

Is the flow good in the area where the moss is growing, if not that could be resulting in poor [CO2] in the area which leads to algea

some are I think but no expert myself, have a few bits of moss in main tank but not much think its christmas moss. But yes some ferns and mosses are sensitive I think,With all your moss I wouldn't chance it,

Found this True/False: liquid carbon kills moss?

Re the Light is it the
Light unit
CRI 90
1320 lumens

does the light it work in the 12 to 24volt range ? if so you could get a TC420 to dim the light if the LED chips are dimmable ofc. The TC420 is a great piece of kit very happy with mine.

Is the flow good in the area where the moss is growing, if not that could be resulting in poor [CO2] in the area which leads to algea

I am using a Tc 420 on my Ada 45p with the light you mentioned. Running it on 70% atm tank is clean. The green thread algae is in the 80x40x40 with the chihiros rgb. I am running it on full power just raised it to get a nicer background effect. I am scared if I go lower the plants will not be healthy / grow anymore due really low par (< 30). Correct me if I am wrong. The chihiros rgb runs to much ampère to use a Tc 420 unfortunately. Both tanks have a filter with 10x turnover. So I Should be pretty save I think in terms of flow?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

P(Watts) = I(Amps) × V(Volts)
so
I = P/V

Take it your using the RGB-60:

so 50w

not sure of voltage say 12V

50/12= 4.16 amps

and the TC420 is rated up to 20amps. well mine is.

I am scared if I go lower the plants will not be healthy / grow anymore due really low par (< 30).

but a slight decrease wont make them unhealthy sort term

another thought is how much media and what type do you have in your filter. Clive on here (the CO2 guru) pointed out to me that too much media results in reduced flow esp ceramic media. reduced my ceramic media 75% and no ill effects on tank and better flow.

He pointed out that planted tanks dont need as much filter media as the plants do a lot of the filtering for us, your tanks are like mine we dont have many fish its all about the scape/plants

Dosing the water column with liquud carbon will do no harm to your fissendens moss. It is only when you spot dose the carbon directly onto the moss it will damage it.
I have dosed liquid carbon in the past upto recommended doses. Here is a pic of some of rhe fissedens in my tank.
20171204_091130-768x1024.jpg

and the TC420 is rated up to 20amps. well mine is.

I was told the tc420 can handle 20amps over 5 channels. So 4 amps per channel. Means the output of the chihiros is to much for the tc 420.

reduced my ceramic media 75% and no ill effects on tank and better flow

Most of my filter is biological media. Only a thin layer of ceramics. And some blue and white sponges with purigen.

I was told the tc420 can handle 20amps over 5 channels. So 4 amps per channel. Means the output of the chihiros is to much for the tc 420.

I guess you have the Chihiros on a timer to control the period.. Than you can still use a manual PWM controller to control intensity. They come in different ratings and actualy pretty cheap, say 12 volt 5 Amps is enough to controll 60 watts.. Just need to put them in the DC circuit between power supply and LED fixture.

DC 3 to 35 volt - 5 Amp
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DC-5A...100073&hash=item5d5fa119b1:g:8csAAOSwAKxWYAp6

DC 10 to 40 volt - 10 Amp.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-40V-10...122397&hash=item2a722e4815:g:94sAAOSwPCVX9dHY

They are motor controllers in description. :) But PWM is PWM it doesn't differ, i've used them succesfully to dim SMD and COB leds without any problems. You also could connect a little volt/amp meter in betweem to get an idea what it's doing and how much it's consuming when you are dimming. And have a number to remember where you were at if you ever change it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-0-200V-...hash=item2f0dd7778a:m:mhWsLvr2LKfcxj0781hj6CA

Or have it all in one (without amp meter)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Motor-S...d=182304262165&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
:)

Last edited:

that makes sense, getting a 10amp supply for my TC420, but will be running two channels at less than 5amps per Chanel.

A PWM as Zozo suggests is another option OFC but cost again

I guess a TC420 shouldn't be a problem if you never go up to 100%.. Dimming equals less amp consumption, just have to figure out what the limits are.
Also have no idea what over powering will do to the device, it doesn't have a buildin fuse. I would be reluctant to try and experiment with the TC to find out. It might slowly overheat and burn out over time or immediately. I never tried. You woulld at least need an amp meter and maybe start at a 50% and see what it pulls and slowly go up from there.

Tho i have 2 TC420 in use and accidently did shortcut a channel. it destroyed something in the channels circuit an this channel is now permanently set to about 5% output. Other channels are not affected. Don't know what's trashed, i will try to replace the mosfet later on, that's about it what i can try to do. But for now 4 channels are sufficient. So i'm not in a hurry to try to repair it.

Is this hard? :p

Thanks for all info Marcel!

Your welcome.. :) And no it's not hard it's pretty straight foreward. You need a piece of Red and an piece of black wire. Or any color you like as long ast they are diferent.

Red = +
Black = -

The controller has 4 screw connectors 2 x input (+/-) and 2 x output (+/-) if it is a chihiros A serie it looks like this.
14FD25B405651414B963FB752597A737B477838583CAA0CDCE.jpg

Cant's see it on the picture, but standard DC 12 volt power plug is 5.5 x 2.1 mm Jack, as you see the led has a female plug and the PSU has the male plug.

Check the plugs on the chihiros if they are indeed 5.5x2.1 mm jack, if so you need a set of these.
https://www.banggood.com/12V-DC-Pow...ector-Socket-for-CCTV-5_52_1mm-p-1118094.html

Knipsel.JPG

As you can see the + and - connector are marked the plug. Same as on the controller.
s-l500.jpg

Screw the female plug to the controllers input (DC in) side, plus to plus, minus to minus. Screw the male to the controllers output (Motor) same way.

Obviously only way, plug the PSU into the controler at the input side and the led cable to the output side..And your done.. Turn the potentio meter to dim.. :)

The controller does the excact same thing as a TC, but manualy with turning the nob. :thumbup:

If the cables are long enough, wrap the coontroller to the PSU with some duck tape. OR mount everything in a little plastic assambly box.

Or maybe even beter, see if you can get your hands on the standard chihiros dimmer as show in the first pic.. Right hand bellow..

Last edited:
Check the plugs on the chihiros if they are indeed 5.5x2.1 mm jack, if so you need a set of these.
https://www.banggood.com/12V-DC-Pow...ector-Socket-for-CCTV-5_52_1mm-p-1118094.html

Used the same ones on mine 2.1mm/5.5mm got them of e bay

Zozo link is to the 5.5x2.5 ones which dont fit the chihiros A series (just a typo)

These are the ones https://www.banggood.com/Male-Femal...V-p-952843.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

But check yours may be different on the RGB

Or search/see LED Dimmer Jack, several types are available ready to plug in. Make sure it meets the amps needed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...immer+jack.TRS0&_nkw=led+dimmer+jack&_sacat=0

As far is i know the push button types dim in steps, the turn button (potentio meter) dim stepless

I already have this one on the lights. It came with the lighting unit. Someone told me to peak the light only for 2 hours a day at 100% for plant growth and the rest just for viewing light. For this case the tc 420 would be great. Does anyone know here how much par fissidens moss and buces minimum need to survive?

Last edited:
Back