• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green spot algea

H

hasan06

Hi guys When using tropica fertilizer, spot algae does not form, but when using agricultural fertilizer, spot algae does?

I've noticed GSA when I don't add enough fert. I use EI. If you have a massive trim you can reduced your ferts, when a jungle grows, i add more to prevent GSA on the glass and some slow growers.

Hi guys When using tropica fertilizer, spot algae does not form, but when using agricultural fertilizer, spot algae does?
What ppms are you dosing when using agricultural fertiliser? I'd be willing to bet the micros (especially Fe) will be higher.
Green spot algae is often said to form when there’s insufficient phosphates.
I've seen some debate about that on this forum, and I think I question it based on my own experience also. I definitely think that it's a secondary effect, such as high PO4 binding excess free Fe/other micros. Green spot algae can also be reduced by reducing the iron dosage.

Interestingly, the OP says that they don't get GSA when using Tropica's fert line, and their fert line uses relatively low amounts of PO4.

In my expierence it is very simple.
When I was dosing 1 PPM (weekly) PO4 I had GSA. I increased 2-3 PPM and it is just gone.
I did the same, increased PO4 from 1 ppm/week to 3 ppm; the GSA seems to be gone. On the flip side, my frogbit index started to reach bear territory; the new leaves seem to be paler. I guess now I precipitate the iron with the increased phosphate:

Before:
index_1.jpg

after:
index_2.jpg

Hi all,
In that case, this might become a titration game between phosphates and iron
Yes, that is one of the ways that "phosphate strippers" work at wastewater plants <"How to Remove Phosphorus from Wastewater | SSI Aeration">.

large_solubility_rules_chart-mk-png-png-png.png

A continual dose of iron (ferric) chloride (FeCl2.6H2O) is introduced into the wastewater stream and iron phosphates precipitate out. You can use aluminium (Al) or calcium (Ca) compounds as well.

cheers Darrel

Back