• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green spot algae on rocks

Tonyball

Once I clean the rocks it takes about 4 weeks for the algae to start appearing again and will completely cover the rocks in 8 weeks or so..

No other algae really, and plants grow well , eleocharis acicularis mini carpet grows well along with temple plants and java fern' no algae on them..

Lights on 6.5 hours, par around 50 to 60 at substrate, phosphate at 0.8, nitrates at around 15ppm, gh 6 ..
Ph 6.2 dropping to 5.2 after co2 injection..
Tropica soil substrate 8 months old..
Using ro water for water changes..

Lime green drop checker all day..
Good surface agitation..
Doseing
3mil of apt complete daily recommended dose..
I think it adds ( weekley )
17ppm potassium
10 nitrates
3.4 phosphate
0.26 iron
N trace.
120l tank

What cud be causing the green spot algae or is it always going to appear on the rocks after time? No matter what i try
Thanks

Last edited:
When I get GSA, I know to raise phosphates and it will clear quite quickly.
@Tonyball I concur with the above. Increase P and GSA will disappear fairly quick. Keep in mind though you can't totally eradicate algae in a tank.

Rocks covered in a green patina are quite beautiful. It sounds like your tank runs nicely too, I would embrace the natural looking rocks 😊 The algae on the rocks will host a number of microorganisms that help make the tank a rich ecosystem.
Just to play devils advocate, not everyone likes the looks of algae on their rocks or hardscape. Some prefer to see the natural look of the rock or wood itself. Also GSA is not all that pretty IMO. GDA would look nicer as it evenly covers surfaces.

All good now ..
20230424_190602.jpg
20230424_190602.jpg

Hi all,
Some prefer to see the natural look of the rock or wood itself
Bearing in mind that I have no sense of aesthetics, and I am incredibly lazy, I'd say that a <"green patina"> is the natural look.
BBA enters the chat
All be honest, I like that as well.

If I kept <"non-planted" tanks"> I would look at <"BBA as a real plus point">.

P1223542.jpg

The major problem would be it is likely to <"all detach">, for unknown reasons.

cheers Darrel

All be honest, I like that as well.
I must admit I love algae as well, they are like mushroom, fungi etc, but in the water environment - eating/attacking anything which is not healthy enough. Just keep them at bay and they even may look beautiful depending on the conditions.

Hi all,
All you need is a cow. You can drop the cow in one side of a tank and while piranhas are busy eating it, you can spot dose carbo in other places. Easy-peasy!
That is what we need, the <"voice of reason">. Cows come in a range of colours naturally and you have Wagyu beef for the ADA disciples. You could sell both H2O2 or glutaraldehyde etc (suitably diluted and re-labelled) and the Cow as a kit.

I think <"Dragon's Den may beckon for both of us">.

However I still think keeping BBA (sorry "Vegan Sable fur highlights" ) could be a <"plus point">.

20230310_130324-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

I can definitely see it both ways... Patina and natural look from relatively benign algae, if strictly confined to hardscape only and can be contained over time, then yes, that is indeed very nice... however, if its an emerging sign of imbalance, which is more than often the case, I would much rather be without the "natural look" and go with the cleanness of what you have now, which looks great as well. Great job on the tank!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

If you're doing a Lake Tanganyika biotope tank with only rock formations, this might not be too far off from what you actually want... and then you may have to go figure out how to grow BBA and other algae at will :) ... they say wildly varying water parameters, especially fluctuating CO2 helps! :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back