• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Golden Pencilfish

I heard males are territorial but gentle and no harm should be done. They are considered peaceful. How big is your tank and how many you have?

I took them out was doing me head in relentlessly chasing my otos even harrasing my female apistos.
I had 14 in a 260 litre with 1 m +2f a. caca and 3 otos 3 cory.
Quite heavily planted.

I have had them before and they have been fine just a few of them had gone mental.

Hi all,
Nannostomus beckfordii is the "odd man out" amongst the Pencil fish. I tried them as dithers for Apistogramma cacatuoides (in a tank with Otocinclus) and had exactly the same problems. Nannostomus eques is a good dither if you want a Pencil, or I used to use Black Neon Tetras and they are very suitable as well.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
15 Nannostomus marginatus
Dwarf Pencils, a top quality dither and one of my favourite fish.
Darrel

They are really nice. Got them this morning. A bit scared for now but already colored. They are a bit larger than CPD but tide shoaling. If lucky I will try to produce some fry to get them to 25.

Hi all,
A "dither" is just a small shoaling fish that makes your other fish more comfortable. If you keep Dwarf Cichlids on their own they often become very reclusive, but if the dithers are swimming about the Cichlids know it is safe to come out and that there are no larger predators about.

If you don't intend to breed your fish any shoaling fish will do, but if they breed you need fish that will stay well up in the water column (and have small mouths) away from potentially damaging "fish on fish" encounters. A bottom orientated fish like a Corydoras catfish, or one that will hunt singly across the bottom like a Cardinal or Emperor Tetra are no good as dithers as they will eat the fry and/or end up in a mangled mess if the female corners them.
It depends a little a bit upon the fish species, Rams can't protect their fry, Apistogramma cacatuoides usually manages fry protection without genocide, but a pair of Hemichromis will usually kill all the other fish in the tank when breeding, even if the fish are much larger than they are.

Dithers and target fish are sometimes used inter-changeably, but they do have different meanings, a true target fish is one that will distract the female/male cichlid whilst they female are looking after the fry and stop the female potentially damaging the male. Another cichlid in an adjoining tank will perform this role. Black Neons are both dithers and target fish, as they are robust and quick enough to avoid serious harm, Pencils or Hatchets are very much just dithers, as they don't tend to interact with the Cichlids at all.

cheers Darrel

very informative. I have a pair of Apistogramma macmasteri in with green neons (Paracheirodon Simulans) without knowing anything about dither fish have i inadvertently done well?

Hi all,
I have a pair of Apistogramma macmasteri in with green neons (Paracheirodon Simulans) without knowing anything about dither fish have i inadvertently done well?
Job done, definitely a good choice of dither when the cichlids aren't breeding. A. macmasteri is somewhere in between A. cacatuoides and Hemichromis on the the genocide scale, but nearer to A. cacatuoides, the female macmasteri shouldn't have any problem holding the Green Neons at bay, the only problem would be if the Green Neons are a bit slow on the uptake and keep on approaching the fry, in that case she may manage to kill a few. The free swimming fry may already be too big for the Green Neons to eat, so it would be more a case of casual interaction.

cheers Darrel

Ok that sounds good. Its a pretty big tank with plenty places to hide so hopefully there will be no deaths.

thanks for your help!

Dave

Back