• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I think rotala will sit just right in that corner or something like Hemianthus micranthemoides. The hm might do better as its a little harder when it comes to chopping it ime. Great pics George!

Pretty much, yes. But I usually have a cover glass fitted to prevent evaporation and help keep the temp up a bit (I'm running a heating mat).

Years ago we all used to have corrugated plastic drip trays over the top of our tanks that degraded over time. You have said that you are using a glass top for your tank George, do you find this has any effect on your lighing for the tank ? I would imagine not, provided it is kempt clear of dust etc. But would be interested to hear your experience.
Thanks
Charlie

I think rotala will sit just right in that corner or something like Hemianthus micranthemoides. The hm might do better as its a little harder when it comes to chopping it ime. Great pics George!
Thanks mate. :)

I'm hoping to get the Rotala 'green' to droop forward over the wood and rock, a bit like this...

rotala.jpg

Years ago we all used to have corrugated plastic drip trays over the top of our tanks that degraded over time. You have said that you are using a glass top for your tank George, do you find this has any effect on your lighing for the tank ? I would imagine not, provided it is kempt clear of dust etc. But would be interested to hear your experience.
Thanks
Charlie
I think there's a bit of light loss, especially as the condensation builds, but it's not enough to stop the plants from growing! :)

I think there's a bit of light loss, especially as the condensation builds, but it's not enough to stop the plants from growing! :)
Thanks for that George, obviously not stopping the plants from growing :) . You do have plenty light to get away with losing a bit aswell ;).

The rotala with look lush if you can acheive a similar effect to the photo. Looking forward to the results.

Thanks guys. :)

I've never really nailed the use of stems in a Nature Aquarium aquascape, so it would be nice to see it work. This is probably my best effort, that I almost totally forgot about until I Googled "rotala aquascape". The Rotala is too vertical here - I need it to creep forward. I wonder if higher or lower lighting will achieve this - any ideas?

60cm-Finery.jpg

A couple more pics from today. I've lowered the lighting height for the photos.

8565182426_7bf61c2742_o.jpg
insitu above by George Farmer, on Flickr

8565182282_662daabc2b_o.jpg
shrimp on wood by George Farmer, on Flickr

Thanks guys. :)

I've never really nailed the use of stems in a Nature Aquarium aquascape, so it would be nice to see it work. This is probably my best effort, that I almost totally forgot about until I Googled "rotala aquascape". The Rotala is too vertical here - I need it to creep forward. I wonder if higher or lower lighting will achieve this - any ideas?

Plants tend to grow towards the brightest light, so maybe move your light unit forwards if you can?

Amano's stems have confused me ever since i tried growing them, I have convinced myself that he replants them like that for photos :)
I look forward to seeming how you do it George. This is another great Farmer 'tutorial journal'...much respect.

Amano's stems have confused me ever since i tried growing them, I have convinced myself that he replants them like that for photos :)
I look forward to seeming how you do it George. This is another great Farmer 'tutorial journal'...much respect.
Ha ha, love the idea that amano re plants just for the photo. That is probably how he escapes from algae issues aswell :) I used to think skate board tricks were never landed, just looked insane in the photos in mags until i started skating and met up with guys who could pull and land kick flips etc.

oh i do those kick jump things everyday, its the plants that are the problem :lol:

I often wonder with the iaplc entries how many are actually grown as the photos show? Is it common practice to move bits around to create the image... add a few bolbititus leaves here, a fresh clump of pinnatifida there etc...

Having observed amanos stems in videos, he really can get his rotala etc etc to grow this way. I personally think he cuts his stems in steps. The man can do things with plants that many of us dream about doing.

Yes George you need a bit more light to make it grow horizontally, trimming it often in the right places plays a big role too, you can also check Aqua Journal december (EN) issue for some nice tips. ;)

Ive always thought it was the way you trim the bush (ahem). ie like topiary so you'd trim it more vertically at the front (if that makes any sense?)

great photos by the way, that moss keeps getting better in each shot :)

Ive always thought it was the way you trim the bush (ahem). ie like topiary so you'd trim it more vertically at the front (if that makes any sense?)

great photos by the way, that moss keeps getting better in each shot :)

Yeah, that's what my thinking was, so he cuts at a 45 degree angle. Quite difficult to do in itself.

No I meant with a bunch of stems and cutting down them at a high angle. When they grow back the light would then be on the outer edge so they'll grow towards you. Bit like a tree on a cliff growing outwards

Need high light to achieve the nice effect with Rotala sp. Green George. The one you linked in the vertical one is a low light tank maybe a low tech too (no co2)
One of the latest tank which i am working on has Sp Green too. On this pic you can see how the stem buds are moving to the front. It has a nice root system so if the plant can attach to any other plants soil etc, the rest of the buds will follow.
All sizes | Forest Scape Maintenance | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

One of my fav plant actually used here too in the back
All sizes | IAPLC 2012 entries Rank #67 CBAP 2012 Foreign 1st | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Back