• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks guys. :)

I'm really happy with the progress - algae and all!

Because I love the hardscape so much it's entirely possible I will keep it long-term (over 6 months - that's long-term for me!) and change the planting. I've already got a few ideas.

I think it will take at least another 2-3 months for the moss to achieve the look I'm after.

I'm currently still deciding on fish selection. Top of my list currently are green neon tetras - Paracheirodon simulans. They stay small enough and shoal tightly. There's enough red in the planting and hardscape, and the blue will really pop with this TMC LED lighting.

Other fish suggestions more than welcome! :)

That's some really impressive growth in just 12 days and a very nice set up - all round. Are you planning on giving it a trim soon?

Was wondering why I like this hardscape so much. And now I know.
hardscape%20analysis.jpg

It's basically a masterclass in how to break every rule just enough to make it interesting. (Only learnt this by accidentally copying it for my latest). Hope you don't mind this analysis George! It's obviously just one person's take, particularly the red arrows. But I thought interesting.

Nice drawings, Mike. Not sure what they mean but I'm glad you've had fun with it! Lol :)

Just kidding. You raise an interesting point and it is reassuring that I suppose my natural eye for composition is ok.

Not much to update on the tank.

Ian has kindly sent me some Ammania, and a small qty of HC and Ranunculus that I've planted. Not sure how they'll do or if they're keepers but worth a try.

The algae is definitely subsiding and the shrimp seem a lot more settled with many more on display now. I think I may even have babies already, I saw a tiny shrimp about 2mm long last night. Not sure how quick they grow, as they've only been in there 4 days.

I'm going to prune the Ludwigia and Hottonia this weekend. I'm tempted to go fish shopping too but I think I'll wait another week whilst the algae is getting under control.

I'm also selling my 10-24mm lens (Canon-fit) so please check out the Sales sub-forum if you're interested. (Shameless plug - sorry!)

Great journal George. I love your attention to detail, your willingness to share ideas, successes and failures ( obviously that does not happen that often). Keep up the good work.
Charlie

Hi all,

I managed to find the time to get a couple of shots this evening. No time for macros of shrimp yet - sorry! :)

12 days since flooding, and the stems will need pruning soon.

Ian Holdich is kindly sending me some more Ammania to try out after my spectacular failure!
8512798399_ba7fdf4da3_o.jpg
insitu day 12 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8513908404_cd784159cc_o.jpg
Day 12 by George Farmer, on Flickr
Hi George,
i noticed you said you took these shots in the evening. Your dc looks quite green, rather than lime, was just wondering if this is a normal colour or if you are running slightly lean c02 whilst the shrimp are settling? If so have any lighting adjustments been made?
There has been some amazing growth in this tank, it just looks stunning....the pros just know how to grow :sour:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Was wondering why I like this hardscape so much. And now I know.
hardscape%20analysis.jpg

It's basically a masterclass in how to break every rule just enough to make it interesting. (Only learnt this by accidentally copying it for my latest). Hope you don't mind this analysis George! It's obviously just one person's take, particularly the red arrows. But I thought interesting.

Great post there mike! Really interesting.

Thanks guys :)

Ady - no flies on you is there?! The drop checker is usually more lime green but I removed it for maintenance in the tank prior to photography. Also the lights are lower down in the photo than usual because when they're higher the reflections are a PITA for shooting.

For reference the CO2 is set to 1BPS using a Fluval bubble counter (best bubble counter I've owned - really easy to use), and 12mm Up Aqua inline diffuser. I'm using a TMC V2 Pro regulator which has a preset working pressure of about 3 bar. I have the CO2 come on very early (8am) because there's quite a lot of ambient light in my kitchen. Lights are on full wack by 3pm, off totally by 10pm.

I think I'm settled on green neon tetras but finding some at a reasonable cost could be a challenge.

Out of interest what's the current thinking of adding Amano shrimp with cherry shrimp? Will they affect breeding of the cherries?

I should be able to get in a decent photo session tomorrow...

Thanks again for all the interest. It's really appreciated and helps to keep me motivated. :)

Hi all,

Not many photos this weekend, but I did get a couple of before and after this aquascape's first proper trim - mainly the Ludwigia and Hottonia.

Here's before -

8523414053_76682e4366_o.jpg
day 21 before trim by George Farmer, on Flickr

And after -

8524525800_1309080d78_o.jpg
day 21 after trim by George Farmer, on Flickr

Many thanks to Ian for sending me the Ammania that you can see here. You can also see the Ludwigia and Hottonia stems post-prune. It will be interesting to see what colour the Ludwigia turns. To be honest I don't see the stems staying in here long-term, but it's fun to experiment and practice pruning techniques.

8524525432_f1894d2809_o.jpg
end after trim day 21 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Overall I'm happy with the progress so far. The algae has all but disappeared. The shrimp seem to be happy grazing amongst the mosses and soil - I think I'll need some proper food soon. I am seeing occasional opaque white eggs lying about. I assume these are unfertilised? I have spotted some tiny shrimplets too which was a lovely surprise after less than a week of being introduced.

Plant growth is good, as you can probably make out. The E. tenellus is starting to establish nicely in the midground - one to keep an eye on as it's quite invasive. All the hairgrasses are doing well and the Lilaeopsis is also establishing well. The mosses are growing slowly but surely too. :)

I'm still considering fish choice but am determined not to rush into things.

Just a thought but could the opaque egg shells be ones that the shrimplets have hatched from, especially as you have new babies in there ?

Back