• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval f90

S

Stoney

New set up for me I have the following:
F90 130 litre tank, inside I have the following:

External 204 Fluval filter
2 x hydor korallia 1600 circulation pumps
1x java fern
Multiple a/ nana
Dragonstone
Eco complete substrate
Jbs riverbed sand.

Quick question I'm only dosing flourish excell being doing this for around a month and conintually having issues with a/nana leaves turning yellow/discolouring??
Any suggestions/ water parameters are good/ weekly water changes.
Could it be the excell?? Do I need it taking into consideration plants I have.

Big thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 325
Hi and welcome!

As Nelson said, Excel is not a fertilizer... it's kind of a CO2 replacement that doesn't really replace CO2... it actually acts a bit on algae prevention and it may be harmful to some plants.

Yellowing and loss of color in leaves is most likely Nutrient deficiency. Are you adding fertilizers? If not, do some research on the Estimative Index and get the EI starter kit from our sponsor Aquarium Plant Foods (dry salts tend to be cheaper on the long run). You can also buy premixed fertilizers, just be sure they provide what the plants need.

What kind of lights do you have?
How long do you have the lights on on a daily basis?

About water changes, when you start a tank, it's good to start with daily water changes of 50%. Then reduce to every other day on the second week, 3 water changes on week 3, 2 water changes a week until you're happy to change to a weekly water change.

Hi all,
excel.....Do I need it taking into consideration plants I have
No. You probably don't need (both?) the Koralia pumps either.
1x java fern ...Multiple A. nana
Yellowing and loss of color in leaves is most likely Nutrient deficiency. Are you adding fertilizers? If not, do some research on the Estimative Index and get the EI starter kit from our sponsor Aquarium Plant Foods (dry salts tend to be cheaper on the long run).
Definitely could be lack of nutrients, but because you have such a low plant load, and plants that will grow in very low nutrient conditions, I think it might be a light issue.

If you have high light you often get pale leaves in Anubias, even when the plant is quite healthy.

You will need to add nutrients at some point. My suggestion would be to add some floating plants to diffuse the light, and you can then use the <"Duckweed Index"> to work out when your Ferns and Anubias need feeding.

If you want to go down the EI route, you probably only need ~1/5 (or even 1/10) full dosage.

cheers Darrel

Lights are on for 7hrs a day!!
They are the Fluval led plant lights/ come with tank/ reviews say promote excellent plant growth!!!
So everyone think I should dose with ferts??
led lights are dimmable/ I could try that at moment I have them around 75percent power/ I could reduce to say 50 percent??

From what I can see on Fluval's website, the F90 comes with 504 LEDs... As usual with Fluval lights that come with the tank I can't find much more info, but I'd say 504 LEDa should produce quite a lot of light, even when using crappy LEDs. So, if the lights are dimmable, you should cut it back to 50% or less and see how it goes.

As Darrel said, floating plants can help a lot as well to block some light.

Aquarium plants take a lot of nutrients using the leaves as well, so you'll need water fertilisers, even if just a little once in a while.

Sorry to be a pain water ferts/which would you suggest??

Thank

fluval micro nutrients looks a good choice for ferts??

Back