• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow question

Hi Mate,
I used to use two Eheim 2180s, but now I've switched to an external marine pump powering a pond filter. Still re-tooling.

Cheers,

I was wondering if it would be ok to turn the flow down when the Co2 isn't on. My reason being is that my extra flow to get 10x is produced by a power head which is noisy and causes the fish to all stay at one end of the tank. As it isn't filtered flow and was installed for the distribution of Co2 can I have it on the same timer as the Co2 solenoid?

I was wondering if it would be ok to turn the flow down when the Co2 isn't on. My reason being is that my extra flow to get 10x is produced by a power head which is noisy and causes the fish to all stay at one end of the tank. As it isn't filtered flow and was installed for the distribution of Co2 can I have it on the same timer as the Co2 solenoid?

Yeah that's fine I used to do exactly the same with my powerhead.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi all, have had a similar problem in my 5 foot tank. Just can;t get a good overall flow with my current equipment. Have two JBL filters (1450lph each) and was splitting my 5kg co2 cylinder into two UP inline diffusers but reckon I had leaks all over the place. The two bubble counters were all over the place. So now have co2 going into one diffuser and and the spray bar mounted on the side of the tank pointed slightly downwards. I can see that the co2 is not getting to the end of the tank. Was thinking of ordering a couple of small powerheads and playing about with different positions but having read this, I suppose I should really get one powerful one and copy the configuration described above. Anybody got any experience of such powerheads. I am worried they will make the taller stem plants bend too much and make the tank look like an underwater gale. Also, Clive, if you read this, how did you diffuse the co2 when you had the two Eheims. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to use a diffuser on each filter but are two co2 cylinders necessary or is it possible to successfully split the co2 line. I have tried this but could not get an equal flow through both lines. Tried using adjustable screw valves but could never get it right.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to use a diffuser on each filter but are two co2 cylinders necessary or is it possible to successfully split the co2 line. I have tried this but could not get an equal flow through both lines. Tried using adjustable screw valves but could never get it right.
Many people use a single CO2 cylinder and regulator, but you need an needle valve for each diffuser. With one needle valve all the CO2 will take the diffuser of least resistance.

Thanks Ian. Did use needle valves on each line which I had split with a T-piece and had a bubble counter on each line but could never get a regular bubble count on both. Anyway I'm going to try a powerhead mounted on the side panel of the tank over the spray bar and see how I get on. Wife ain't going to let me buy a second cylinder anyway.:(

Hi

I was also having co2 distribution issues. I have Juwel 180 with externals following 10X rule and spraybar fixed on backside aided with Koralia. 5 kg CO2 was mixing in reactor at 6+ bps.

Now I have changed to a smaller sideway spraybar aided with small pump. The water intake to the external is Y splitted and 1 goes solely to the reactor powered by a powerful pump. The reactor output is fed into the tank by a pipe that goes right upto the substrate at the opposite end of the spraybar. There a nozzle directs it such that it enriches the spraybar output water flow. That way the CO2 is first distributed all over the substrate initially and then turns over upward when near the spraybar side. I could see immediate results by this... Lower plants show increased growth within a week.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Hi

check the pictures below (sorry for okay quality phone snaps..)

The Juwel internal has been converted to a prefilter powered by 3 pumps: Internal pump (600 lph), Tetratec 1200 lph, and another 2400 lph pump which also powers a Dupla Big CO2 reactor. The internal Juwel pump output puts water back into tank. The CO2 reactor and Tetratec get prefiltered water from a Y-split. Tetra output goes to a spray bar along the side of the tank.

The Dupla reactor has a narrow (9/12 mm) tubing. So that drops the flow considerably, even with 2400 lph pump. But I have a high CO2 injection rate, so the dissolution is perfect. This water goes all the way down near substrate and a small Eheim nozzle spreads it horizontally with very slow flow. The spray bar output then takes this water and spreads it over the substrate.

My guess is that since all sponges etc go to the prefilter, and since I have some ceramic and hollow plastic shells, there isnt much resistance or flow blockage.

After this change, I have seen a visible improvement in plant growth (lower leaves much better, etc), and water has been crystal clear all through (never had any issues with this aspect though).

export_06.png

export_05.png

export_04.png

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

-niru

... just saw another post with reducer T CO2 injection.. Might have to try that as well.

I usually turn ON the internal pump when plant mass increases potentially causing flow obstruction.

cheers

Back