• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow and filters

Anthony89

Hi peeps. I have a 4ftx2ftx15" tank. Currently run a rena xp2 and a fluval 305. I'm going to be changing the fluval for a eheim 2028 when I have some media baskets for it. Would these two filters create enough flow? I plan on moving over to spray bars when I setup the eheim. Could anyone recommend me lengths and number of holes for each spray bar. I will be using 21mm overflow pipe to make them.

Thanks ant

Hi ant,
It would be great if you could use the search function in the upper right mate. I don't know these filters but whatever they are their combined flow rating should ideally add up to about 10X the tank volume per hour. So just do the math and you'll have an answer.

Doing a search using "10X Rule spraybar" or "10X flow spraybar" will yield amazing results, just in this forum section alone.

Cheers,

Ok so I found the spec of my filters. Rena xp2 is 1050lph and the eheim 2028 is 1050lph too. Combined is 2100lph. My tanks is roughly 280l. So ideally I would need 2800lph from my filter. Im 700lph short. im getting the tank ready for co2 injection. Would I be better of getting more lph before setting up co2?

In an ideal world 'yes'
The more up to spec components you use the better off you will be however if you have a budget to work within, then a powerhead could be used to supplement the flow.
A single large power filter is the easy way to go but two matching filters is a great way & possibly a better bet!
The problem with two filters come when you need to evenly distribute the C02 & the overall flow, as this might require splitting the C02 into both filter flows.
One large filter retuning via a single full length spray bar is a tried & tested method that works & is a simple design!
Two filters can be applied in a similar fashion it is just that extra thought & pipework will be necessary however - the fact you have two filters offers it own benefits as there will be two pick up points for better flow & the filter maintenance can be carried out on an individual router.
The 10 x rule is a guideline, you may get away with the filters you have personally I would prefer a little more flow than a little less!

Thanks foxfish I will look at upgraded the rena xp2 for a more powerful filter. I like the idea of having two filter, forr maintenance and stability as you say. Ill probably go for an inline reactor. On the more powerful filter. If the co2 is not getting round enough hopefully I can split the co2 and use 2 reactors. Still a little while of from getting co2 for this setup. That will require another few hours of research for the right system.

Hi ant,
It would be great if you could use the search function in the upper right mate. I don't know these filters but whatever they are their combined flow rating should ideally add up to about 10X the tank volume per hour. So just do the math and you'll have an answer.

Doing a search using "10X Rule spraybar" or "10X flow spraybar" will yield amazing results, just in this forum section alone.

Cheers,

Surely you could only search for '10x rule' or similar if you already know that the answer is 10x? For anyone asking what the flow should be they wont know the answer, presumably which is why they asked the question?

Yes, that is correct, and that's exactly why I introduced the expression in my post, explained how to calculate it, and then suggested the search term to use in your search. Now that you know the answer you will find plenty of information.

Cheers,

Back