• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room

Hi all,
I thought k1 was meant to sit under the surface of the water?
It is "floating cell media", so it will always float. Like Xim says give it a good stir and it will eventually sink down to the waters surface. Floating is a great advantage if the power goes off, because the media has more access to atmospheric oxygen than a sand filter etc would.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
K1 always remind me of wheels from cheap toy cars I see here all the time, maybe those cars didn't sell anymore and they found a new purpose for the wheels?
Dual purpose, well if denim started as tent material, and we use cat litter and Bonsai soil as a tank substrate, I don't see why not.

The "moving bed biofilm reactor", using Kaldnes type media, was developed in Norway in the 1980's, so it is actually quite old technology.

The best review of microbial bio-filters is probably in <"Aquaculture 34(3) (2006) "Design and Selection of Biological Filters for Freshwater and Marine Applications">. The Kaldnes paper is Rusten, et al. <"Design and operations of the Kaldnes moving bed biofilm reactors">.

I've got access to these, so if people want any specific the papers I can get them.

cheers Darrel

Back