• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room

Yes I was looking at these but I thought to expensive £30 each

I found these
C8A1B20B-685F-4434-BD7D-F915CB6BC074_zpscqy5urmz.png

Was thinking of putting 2 in each container? How efficient are they and can you put new sponges on after they are worn out.

AB76B6A4-5660-4F44-B589-55D796E38C99_zpsybjbrni0.png

Or these' I thought they was called hamburger filters lol, they do resemble them a little' just a little bit

Will they hold solid to the bottom of the tank or are they prone to float to the top

Better to DIY it. You can either use air pump (to create air lift lie the ones you found on eBay) or ideally a small pump that draws water grouch the foam and the expels it back into the tank

The sponge filters you have shown are very good.They make look a little out of place with all this modern external filtration on offer however those sponges hold a huge amount of benefical bacteria and a couple are probably required in a large tank ,as long as water change is regular and a substrate clean regime they are fine. I got three of the former the double sponge on line for a fiver post free.Downside took a while to arrive nearly gave up on them arriving at one point

D429024D-06FF-4F22-8538-BD5CD3545347_zpskyklcmsl.jpg

I found these £1.31p each, how do they make them for that? I had to buy 12 at that price

Re tanks:

How many?
How big?
How stocked?

They are 150 ltr black storage tubs for raising fry, 6 in total
Was thinking to use 2 of them double sponges in each tank
Members on this thread highly recomend them, keeping each tank isolated from the others in case of disease, running them all through a large sump could wipe every thing out if some thing went wrong

Hi all,
Have a look at "Swiss Tropicals" for HMF details. It is an American Company run by a Swiss Scientist: Swiss Tropicals links <"Biofiltration">, <"Mattenfilter"> , and in use <"Brian's Basement">.

It is difficult to get the <"Poret"> foam in the UK, but if you want a reasonable amount it would be worth getting it from Germany, particularly with the euro low in value against £: <"http://fish.aquaristic.net/Filterfoam/">.

I've used a lot of the Yamitsu brand <"12" x 4" x 4" PPI20 sponge blocks"> they sell for Koi ponds etc. I use them with a "Maxijet" powerhead, but you can use an <"air pump and uplift tube">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Have a look at "Swiss Tropicals" for HMF details. It is an American Company run by a Swiss Scientist: Swiss Tropicals links <"Biofiltration">, <"Mattenfilter"> , and in use <"Brian's Basement">.

It is difficult to get the <"Poret"> foam in the UK, but if you want a reasonable amount it would be worth getting it from Germany, particularly with the euro low in value against £: <"http://fish.aquaristic.net/Filterfoam/">.

I've used a lot of the Yamitsu brand <"12" x 4" x 4" PPI20 sponge blocks"> they sell for Koi ponds etc. I use them with a "Maxijet" powerhead, but you can use an <"air pump and uplift tube">.

cheers Darrel
What a set up Brian has. Wish I had that sort of cash flow :)

I just use huge sponge filters bought on ebay. Couple of pounds each from hongkong. Easy to clean as you just lift it out and give it a squeeze.

I found buying the foam for hmf was expensive and could only get the foam size I needed in blue or beige :what:

I just use huge sponge filters bought on ebay. Couple of pounds each from hongkong. Easy to clean as you just lift it out and give it a squeeze.
The images of the double sponge filters ive bought of eBay. Will the biological load be efficient for raising the fry if I'm doing a 10 water change each day

I'm no expert. I only have small fish and small quantities of fry. I just do weekly wcs and my ph is so low in most tanks I'm not sure there are any bacteria actually surviving on the filtet sponge lol...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ph is so low in most tanks I'm not sure there are any bacteria actually surviving on the filtet
Quite sure there are plenty. they can withstand the harshest of condition, even live in Geisers, so i guess your tank will do fine:)

Well the fish seem happy Edvet so that is the best sign that everything is working.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back