• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish - Plant Safe Ground Feeder?

LancsRick

My Cardinal Tetras have an annoying habit of only eating their food when it is sinking in the tak, shunning it when it's on the surface. As a result, despite being careful not to overfeed, there's a fair few flakes accumulating on the gravel. I was intending to get something for the bottom of the tank anyways, but this means that I reckon it's now next on my list to stock up on.

I don't have a large amount of algae, or an algae problem. I don't have a snail problem.

Ideally I'd like a bottom feeding fish which won't destroy my plants. I've got 190 litres to play with.

Cheers!

Thank Troi, any recommendations within the genus of specific fish?

theres loads to choose from in the corydoras family but it all depends on the size you want theres pygmy ones at about 7mm to large ones of 75mm
theres also synodontis but these in general tend to be large and the smaller species are hard to come by
then thres the Botias (loaches) they come in all size and colours and will eat any snails as well any shrimp
and then theres srimps
Try pier aquatics in wigan or go back to aqualife

Lancsrick
Do you belong to a fish club?
I'm thinking of going to a meeting of Preston and district aquatic society it's on the first Tuesday of the month in leyland
I attended their auction recently and the species of fish that went through was brilliant and all bred by its members
A lot of plants also went through, not the common stuff either :)

Funny you should mention that Dean, I was checking out their site last night, and was a bit gutted to realise that I'd just missed their auction! I might well drop over to check it out at some point, although I know what I can be like with getting into old hobbies or starting new ones in terms of trying to do too much too fast! I'll end up with a house full of tanks in a few months and then get bored! I'm my own worst enemy :p.

Short answer - I'm not a member, yes I'm thinking about going along!

i like Khuli loaches, theyre great scavangers and watching out for them is part of the fun!

LancsRick said:
My Cardinal Tetras have an annoying habit of only eating their food when it is sinking in the tak, shunning it when it's on the surface. As a result, despite being careful not to overfeed, there's a fair few flakes accumulating on the gravel. I was intending to get something for the bottom of the tank anyways, but this means that I reckon it's now next on my list to stock up on.

I don't have a large amount of algae, or an algae problem. I don't have a snail problem.

Ideally I'd like a bottom feeding fish which won't destroy my plants. I've got 190 litres to play with.

Cheers!

LDA25 Plecos would get my vote or Amano shrimp.

Back