• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank.

So my hairgrass needed a trim
d5982095-2e86-155e.jpg

So I trimmed it ;)
d5982095-2e9d-ec9e.jpg

5284f983-dc41-3add.jpg

Reset my settings and all is good. A bit of new growth. I tend to keep the hairgrass at that length. It's not that we'll rooted and some normally floats up when I get too scissor happy. A week or two and I'll hack it right back. Rotala is getting on towards the surface then that gets its hack back and replant.

Re: First planted tank.

Hey Wazuck,.. :D That's a very nice layout you've got going in there :D . Looking forward to seeing it fill up nicely. I could never grow hairgrass,...(only tried it once :oops: ) but mine just melted away. Wish you all the best with your tank. It's a very nice hardscape too.

Thanks. It's taking longer than I thought to really get growing. I'm tempted to ditch the blyxa as its not going to plan. Then just letting the hairgrass grow a lot taller just before it hits the stems. I'll wait for my carpet and see what happens. The blyxa is a really dull colour and im not sure why. I'm running about 4wpg, injecting co2 and ferts daily.

That's a lot of light wazuck !! :wideyed: How are you dispersing the co2 ? Are you using a in tank ceramic disc or something inline? Blyxa is very sensitive to co2. High light levels would only increase the co2 stress. I think you should reduce your current light levels to half and increase your co2 injection rate. Inline co2 administration works well (like a UP Aqua in line atomizer).

It's not that much light on a nano. I'd say medium-high. Co2 is via disk but as I have a hang on filter it's my only option unless I DIY it into the filter. I have just setup my drop checker correctly aswell which will help things as it was really just guess work up until now. I don't mind ditching the blyxa to keep my tank running as it is.

Sorted my co2 out. Was running it at 1 bubble per 2 secs. Setup my DC properly and am now running around 3bps with a green DC. A bit of surface movement which is probably driving a lot of that off. I gave my needle valve another small turn so should have the co2 where I want it by tomorrow. I can already see the difference in plant growth :)

your blyxa should be fine mate, its just a co2 whore. Green DC and good flow = blyxa weed!

Hairgrass - can become a crud catcher which leads to its demise..i always found it best to go as low as you can to the substrate which clears out the crud each time and encourages more runners. Makes it a bit naked for a few weeks each time but well worth it!

Tanks looking good mate :thumbup:

Yeah I'm going to hack that weed right down till I get a carpet. Things should get better from here on. Can't wait to start my low tech :)

With the risk of being unpopular: have you considered the mini eleocharis instead? Saves you a lot of cutting :)
Mick.

I have thought about it but I'm finding the trimming very calming and enjoyable :) another scape I'm planning will use the mini version but that's a long way off for now. Still waiting for a quote on my optiwhite tank and stand. This tank is more of a skill building experiment. I don't think I'll cry before tearing it down.

I came home from work and looked at my tank. A fish died :( I knew it was likely as he wasn't looking in the best condition when I got it home. Now I'm not sure if I should live it in or take it out. My shrimp and snails seem to be rather enjoying feeding off it. What would you do?

Take it out bud, could cause no end of problems. If its small like fry yea then no probs let them eat it, but anything else remove it.

Woke up this morning to a berried cherry shrimp :D hopefully my tetras don't munch the baby's! I may have another tank to put them in by then tho.

Back