• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Hi,
Just so we don't get into a cat fight, lets just say that it might have been kinder if bene had provided a link to get you started such as DIN 477 Standard Cylinder Valves.

If you check page 1 of the pdf file it will show you item 6 for CO2 cylinders and will give you the measurements. The difference between the European Standard and the American is in terms of the diameters and the number of Threads per inch (TPI). If you had no other information regarding the source of the product in your possession then you really would need to use a ruler to compare what you have to the standard dimensions. There really is no other way. Your regulator hex nut must have an inside diameter to match the outside diameter of the the valve as shown on the left side of the cyan colored schematic. The thread count should also match.

To double check just google CGA standard and you will find a similar chart with dimensions for a CO2 (CGA 320) connection. The dimensions are close but not compatible so you have to measure carefully.

There might even be information stamped on the regulator, or, if you can give us more information about where you got it or what brand/model it is we might be able to figure it out. So you really need to give as much information as possible when asking a question.

Cheers,

It's a TMC V2 pressure reg that I got along with a refillable bottle from AE, I checked online and noticed that TMC did both kinds of fitting so that's what threw me. I couldn't see anything on the reg or the bottle to tell me what type it was. I had stated that I owned a TMC reg in my previous to last post on here hence the question about the differences. Thanks for your help ceg4048

OK, yep, you're right. I didn't go far enough back to see the beginning post. Sorry, I just saw fur flying so I zoomed in too close.:stop:

I would have thought most probably that it will be the DIN 477. This standard exactly matches the British Standard BS341 No. 8 which is shown on that second link I gave you right under the heading "Cylinder Valve Thread". I suppose anything can happen, but it would be really unusual for them to send an American standard in lieu of a British standard unless the buyer actually requested it. If you still have the Purchase Order available AE might be able to confirm what type they sent on that order if you have difficulty taking the measurements.

Cheers,

How many bps were you runnin pal? And for how long?

I run 5 bps for 7 hours a day at min. Curious as to how long my pub co2 will last.

Yeah, and what size bubbles? And how much PAR? And how much plant mass? And what type of plants? And at what temperature? And how much surface agitation? And how efficient is the distribution technique? And is the tank covered or open? And is liquid carbon being supplemented? And how much growth rate? And blah...blah...blah....

Cheers,

How many bps were you runnin pal? And for how long?

I run 5 bps for 7 hours a day at min. Curious as to how long my pub co2 will last.
Bps no idea too fast to count (small bubbles), a lot basically, green drop checker (maybe yellow'ish) on for 11 hours, 50W of T8 lights in Juwel tank cover for 9hours (may be 10 & 8 not sure), liquid carbon as well.....happy fish and green fast growing plants, no algae tiny bit of BBA. 2100litres/hour filtering and 3000litre/hour power head/fish exerciser. EI automatic dosing, using slightly increased strength EI solutions ie 1 1/2 teaspoons instead of one. Just reduced lighting, increased CO2 & EI strength as noticed some plants not growing as fast as they once did, I assume due to increased plants in tank.

Looked like this yesterday.
wp201302270091.jpg

Why are you dosing more than EI ? The Estimative Index method ensures there is always more than enough nutrients for any planted tank.
Those Crypts look amazing by the way :)

Those Crypts look amazing by the way :)
Ta. They/it was bought as quite a tiny piece which I tied onto a piece of wood about 12inches long. The wood was went left to right propped up on a large stone. It completely took over the wood, which is now located front to back. The stone you can just see is a "cave" where my 3 clown loaches live, front entrance a bit overgrown.:D The clear bit in the front is where my HC will go, when ever I get round to it....

Why are you dosing more than EI ? The Estimative Index method ensures there is always more than enough nutrients for any planted tank.
But, I think if you have lots of plants, it may not be enough. The glosso (I think that's what is is) was severely trimmed by me (it "consumed" and wondered across the whole front of the tank !!) but didn't re-grow as manic as it once did. Also new growth looked a bit pale. So I upped the dose (ok could have increased the no of ml dosing instead, mine is automatically dosed via pump) and since this increase in dosing normal glosso manic growing/creeping has returned. A slight bit of BBA started on crypts, these leaves are now fertilising the front lawn and BBA on lower regions of glosso cured by reduced light period, pointing power head at it and addition of liquid carbon.

But, I think if you have lots of plants, it may not be enough
Its was designed to supply more than even fast growing stems plants could ever consume, basically it provides excess nutrients to ensure there will never be deficiencies.
The following quote is from Barrreport.com, Tom Barr's website (the creator of EI)
''I’ve done numerous test runs over a week or three week time period using very high light (450 micromoles/m^2/sec @ 8 cm from light source) and many different species of fast growing stem plants. This will give an assumed “maximum uptake rate”. This rate is important in setting the upper limit of the needs of the plants. Once the aquarist knows this rate, they can be confident that they are not going to run out of any nutrient at most any lighting variable. This “rate” of uptake or dosing is what is truly important rather than maintaining some static “residual” level.''
The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits - Aquarium Plants

Hey, Thanks to this thread and comprehensive set up guides I have decided to go with a FE co2 with a dual gauge Regulator. Just wanted to check a couple of things before I set it up tomorrow. I have heard mixed things about using PTFE (teflon tape). Pretty unanimous on don't use it on the Regulator-to-FE thread... But what about the other threads, such as the solenoid or gauge threads?

Also, since it's not a wheel-type valve tap as on a normal co2 tank, do you have to be particularly careful when depressing the lever so you don't blow out the gauges on the reg? Also what is an ideal working pressure and should this be increased gradually after attachment instead of being set to full output pressure from the start?

Thanks,

James

:shh:
The following quote is from Barrreport.com, Tom Barr's website (the creator of EI)
''I’ve done numerous test runs over a week or three week time period using very high light (450 micromoles/m^2/sec @ 8 cm from light source) and many different species of fast growing stem plants. This will give an assumed “maximum uptake rate”. This rate is important in setting the upper limit of the needs of the plants. Once the aquarist knows this rate, they can be confident that they are not going to run out of any nutrient at most any lighting variable. This “rate” of uptake or dosing is what is truly important rather than maintaining some static “residual” level.''
The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits - Aquarium Plants
The issue here is Tom did not state what size and how heaped his teaspoons of salts were ? My kitchen ones, I use when my wife is around are not very deep and don't hold much, but the posh teaspoons we have which I use when my wife is not looking :shh: hold a lot more. Mine came from Sainsbury's if that helps.

Do you see the issue ?

Back