• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter recommendations for 30l tank.

Does anyone have any good filters to suggest for a nano tank of 30l? I am looking to upgrade from a sponge filter to increase my filtration capacity and would appreciate suggestions on what to go for.

The Oase Filtosmart 60 is pretty good if you're looking for an external filter. It has a max flow rate of 300L per hour

What sort of capacity do you want/need? For example, I like the aquael mini pat - which is a small powered sponge filter. I've doubled it's capacity by extending the tube and using a longer sponge. You can buy the parts pre-made here: Poret® Sponge Replacement for Aquael Pat Mini Filter 20cm - Envobee Shrimp

If you want to increase water volume, then external, but it's not going to be a big increase as the externals aimed at a 30l aren't that big. HOB filters would be another way to increase volumn, again, probably only 2l max but they'd give you the capacity to add other filter media if that's what you were looking for (I have have spare mini pat sponges in mine for transfering to new tanks).

The Oase Filtosmart 60 is pretty good if you're looking for an external filter. It has a max flow rate of 300L per hour
For that price, wouldn't it be better to go for the Sicce Space EKO 100 instead?

What sort of capacity do you want/need? For example, I like the aquael mini pat - which is a small powered sponge filter. I've doubled it's capacity by extending the tube and using a longer sponge. You can buy the parts pre-made here: Poret® Sponge Replacement for Aquael Pat Mini Filter 20cm - Envobee Shrimp

If you want to increase water volume, then external, but it's not going to be a big increase as the externals aimed at a 30l aren't that big. HOB filters would be another way to increase volumn, again, probably only 2l max but they'd give you the capacity to add other filter media if that's what you were looking for (I have have spare mini pat sponges in mine for transfering to new tanks).

High capacity to handle a higher stocking of fish and to handle at least two weeks without water changes as there are times when I will be away for about two weeks.

I'd slap on an Aquaclear 30 (30 gallons, 114 liters). Simple construction with room for media and basic flow control.

IMO a canister filter for small tanks is a bit much.

For small tank externals I like the Tetra EX500 plus. It's not got the best head height if the filter's going to be a long way under the tank but for most cabinets it's a banger.

Hi all,
I reckon an external filter might be better instead of using tank space for a filter.
You could try a small HOB filter. @LondonDragon likes them.
Add a second sponge filter. I think they really suit small tanks. What kind of fish and how many for such a small tank?
I'm a sponge filter fan as well.

cheers Darrel

High capacity to handle a higher stocking of fish and to handle at least two weeks without water changes as there are times when I will be away for about two weeks.

Are there times when you find your sponge filter is getting gunked up within two weeks? That would suggest very heavily stocked tank.

Are there times when you find your sponge filter is getting gunked up within two weeks? That would suggest very heavily stocked tank.
No, I clean it once a month as a matter of schedule but it does not appear to be completely filled with gunk. Tank is about 60% planted.

This is the real question, if you need a bigger filter for such a small tank, there could be issues with stocking choice.
Add a second sponge filter. I think they really suit small tanks. What kind of fish and how many for such a small tank?
5 pygmies, 2 guppies and 4 amanos so I do think its overstocked until I have the time and space to move the guppies to their own tank. However, I have lost two pygmies and am worried about the water quality.

Hi all,

You could try a small HOB filter. @LondonDragon likes them.

I'm a sponge filter fan as well.

cheers Darrel
I'd slap on an Aquaclear 30 (30 gallons, 114 liters). Simple construction with room for media and basic flow control.

IMO a canister filter for small tanks is a bit much.

Personally I am dithering between the Oase Biostyle 75 and APS Hob-500. Not too keen on a canister now due to cost and complexity.

@LondonDragon I saw from a previous post that you have a Biostyle 75? How do you find it?

No, I clean it once a month as a matter of schedule but it does not appear to be completely filled with gunk. Tank is about 60% planted.

5 pygmies, 2 guppies and 4 amanos so I do think its overstocked until I have the time and space to move the guppies to their own tank. However, I have lost two pygmies and am worried about the water quality.
Is the tank fairly well planted? I think you'd be wasting your money by changing the filter by the sounds of it...

To put it in perspective I'm using a TINY Hang on back for a 30l with 6 ricefish in and the water quality has never been an issue, it is fairly well planted though...

Hi all,
Corydoras pygmaeus?

A lot of people find that they <"lose fish over time">. I've kept them <"for a while now"> and I think the <"secrets"> are small live food items, stable water conditions and <"a lot of cover">. I keep mine in ~90% rainwater and I probably wouldn't go smaller than a 2' (60 cm) tank for them in the long term.

img_0126-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Corydoras pygmaeus?

A lot of people find that they <"lose fish over time">. I've kept them <"for a while now"> and I think the <"secrets"> are small live food items, stable water conditions and <"a lot of cover">. I keep mine in ~90% rainwater and I probably wouldn't go smaller than a 2' (60 cm) tank for them in the long term.

View attachment 213085

cheers Darrel
Yes! These adorable buggers keep dying on me. I use RO mixed with tap and have a heater, and they are still dying on me.

Not sure where I'm going wrong. What small live foods do you feed them with?

I like the aquael mini pat - which is a small powered sponge filter. I've doubled it's capacity by extending the tube and using a longer sponge. You can buy the parts pre-made here: Poret® Sponge Replacement for Aquael Pat Mini Filter 20cm - Envobee Shrimp
+1 for the mini pat .. I have two tanks in your kind of capacity (a 27L & a 35) and main filtration for both is a pat. In the smaller, primarily for shrimp, I put the output through a spray bar, in the larger I run one of the Marina Slim HOBs as a backup because it's a growout tank with heavy feeding, but it's probably belt and braces. Belt and braces on the shrimp tank is a small air-driven sponge. I just always like to have a spare sponge in my tanks with a good bacteria colony in case something else fails. Only downside for pats is the suction cups, fiddly and lose suction too quickly. Extending the tube is a great idea but space is too tight for me to do that.

Back