• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter Cycling

The non-eater was spitting out food ( going on 3 weeks) was getting ready to treat for Hex until someone said to raise temp to 84F-86F.
They probably had Hex. At temps above 28C and 31 and above the parasite has a short survival period and eventually dies...Those fish may not have been healthy in the first place...

And that poster is not seeing a very possible connection between hex and the subsequent higher temps. You can treat hex, ich and some other parasites,and even genuine non bacterial fungus infection with just raising the temp. But it has the opposite effect for some other allignments. When one doses antibiotics in a tank and sees a positive reaction... do they start keeping the fish in antibiotic treated water forever?

I think the high temperatures are used to increase metabolism so that the fish can be beefed up to the jumbo sizes that are available today. I'm sure some breeders keep their fish in antibiotic treated water just to increase their survival rates. I know for sure some of the Fish shops that I've been to in India keep their expensive fish in antibiotic treated water. I keep mine at 27-29C in a planted tank. Both the fish and plants are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back