• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Exploring yeast as shrimp and plant food

I think I use to use Potassium Sorbate when I was home brewing wine and beer after fermentation had completely finished to stop secondary ferment and so it would keep when bottled. That's what made it stand out for me.

This gives me an idea how to sterilise plants from snails..... One could incorporate the sugar method into their quarantine from snails .

Hi all,
When I looked through the list of ingredients potassium sorbate was in the frame. From what I understand its used to prolong shelf life of products so wondered if this had killed off the beneficial bacteria and caused a spike maybe
It is in the Vimto to stop micro-organisms growing, but it doesn't have much effect on bacteria. Potassium sorbate is <"E202">.
use Potassium Sorbate when I was home brewing wine and beer after fermentation had completely finished to stop secondary ferment
It is much more effective on yeasts and moulds.

Vimto itself is fairly low in sugar by soft drink standards, <"4.7g in 100cm3"> (although it may have been more sugar rich in the past, but now has a sweetener added as well, possibly because of <"changes in legislation">).
Still not over it, I loved those fish.
I was going to suggest that an interesting experiment would be to pour the present formula and "diet" versions into identical tanks and see if they have the same effect, but maybe not.

cheers Darrel

Maybe an interesting experiment Darrel but I would suggest not doing it with a breeding pair of £400 blue cobalt Discus like I did.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Hi all, You could try carbonated water, it doesn't tend to kill the snails, but it gives a quick "knock down" effect so that you can remove small snails from moss etc.

cheers Darrel
Amano discovered accidentally that CO2 can enhance plant growth one day returning home from a bar and poured a can of carbonated water. I don’t think carbonated water will knock down snail selectively. With sufficient concentration, it will knock down both fish and snail. It’s not hard to remove snails if you can locate them, best done by laying out food trap.

Hey guys when I sterilise plants for quarantine, there are no fish to worry about. Need to kill snails selectively and keep plant safe.

Back