• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences with A.I.

And that's why Ai will "hopefully" never rule the world.
John, most sensibly people would say so, and I agree, but as with organic life, intelligence is an emergent phenomenon… (we easily recognize it when we see it, but we can’t quite define it…) I believe, as many others in the field, that the evolution of AI is sort of similar to what we see in nature, only that it is progressing much faster than the tedious process of natural selection that takes eons. It may take decades, it may take longer, but none of the fundamental physical principles seems to prohibit that AI will eventually become exponentially “smarter” than humans. When AI eventually gets married with quantum computing as (or if) that technology evolves into something practical, I think we’re in for something completely transcending. Perhaps it’s akin to the Neanderthals being brushed aside by the Homo sapiens some 40.000 years ago. I don’t know, but it’s a possibility.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
John, most sensibly people would say so, and I agree, but as with organic life, intelligence is an emergent phenomenon… (we easily recognize it when we see it, but we can’t quite define it…) I believe, as many others in the field, that the evolution of AI is sort of similar to what we see in nature, only that it is progressing much faster than the tedious process of natural selection that takes eons. It may take decades, it may take longer, but none of the fundamental physical principles seems to prohibit that AI will eventually become exponentially “smarter” than humans. When AI eventually gets married with quantum computing as (or if) that technology evolves into something practical, I think we’re in for something completely transcending. Perhaps it’s akin to the Neanderthals being brushed aside by the Homo sapiens some 40.000 years ago. I don’t know, but it’s a possibility.

Cheers,
Michael

Personally I suspect that the impact of AI over the next decade is going to be massive.

Essentially it's only really just hit public and business awareness as a usable and viable product, from that perspective it is in its infancy. The amount of income the likes of ChatGPT are going to generate from this recent exposure will be massive and for sure will be pumped into exponential improvements to the background AI programming and it's resulting learning capabilities.

Will it ever be as 'smart' as a human, I'm not sure, it kind of depends how you define 'smart'. Will it ever have have the creativity and freedom of thought of a human, perhaps not. Will it have immediate access to a far larger database of knowledge than any human can access or recall, will it be able to apply any and all historic learning to problem solving in a mere fraction of the time a human can - absolutely.

AI doesn't really need to be smarter than a human, it just needs to be smart enough, and be able to pass for human. Once it does the economic consequences are going to be dramatic. We are already seeing news stories of the likes of BT planning to shed 55,000 workers and replace large proportions of them on the customer services side with AI solutions. My wife works in the NHS in mental health, and in that sector also they are already looking into using AI bots to make initial patient mental health assessments, and later on potentially even mental health treatment. In other areas of healthcare they are experimenting with using AI to spot cancers on MRI scans, with a better hit rate than trained doctors. Even on the very low level, plenty of businesses are already using ChatGPT to generate written content where previously they would have paid freelance writers.

What no one appears to be thinking about, is what all these workers who are replaced by AI, are going to do for work afterwards. In the UK there are around 33 million people in paid employment currently - if even 10% of those are replaced by AI, that's another 3.3 million unemployed - a two and half fold increase in unemployment over what could be a very short time, a two and half fold increase impact on unemployed benefits the state will have to find funding for, plus the reduction of economic spending capacity of the working population - and every developed economy could see the same globally. The economic consequences of that reduction alone would be crippling.

Personally I think even 10% could be a conservative assessment if the proliferation of AI continues unchecked by government legislation. If you sit and think for a moment about every service orientated role in the workplace (public and private sector), there aren't many that couldn't conceivably be replaced by appropriately trained AI and automation.

AI could well spell the end of humanity, but not with nukes on Judgement Day, but by simple and rapid obsolescence.

Last edited:
Hi all,
My colleague says GPT is terrible at R code but not bad at python. I take his word for it.
I've had a play with ChatGPT and a faulty "R" script and it was OK and did correct some syntax etc. <"RPubs - ChatGPT Generated Tutorial">.

I'm guessing that over time AI could potentially "learn" all of any particular scripting language, a bit like a Chess playing program.

Base R isn't very good with rules (there are many different ways of getting to the same end result), but if you used the Tidyverse (which has consistent syntax etc ) I'm guessing that AI will work pretty well. <"Tidyverse">
Personally I think even 10% could be a conservative assessment if the proliferation of AI continues unchecked by government legislation. If you sit and think for a moment about every service orientated role in the workplace (public and private sector), there aren't many that couldn't conceivably be replaced by appropriately trained AI and automation.
Coming soon I'm afraid.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Coming soon I'm afraid.
Then they will just create more jobs with new tiles to monitor the AI! and those people still have jobs they can apply for!
Look in the corporate world and there are so many "BS" jobs, which have been created just to keep the workforce number in balance, even as technology evolves! And new tech also means new roles and people just have to adapt as they have always in the past!

Just don't ask simple mathematical questions... Such as...

Schermafbeelding 2023-10-27 110532.png

:lol:

Just don't ask simple mathematical questions... Such as...

View attachment 212038
:lol:

Ah well, to be fair you haven't specified enough variables for even a human to answer that . . . are all the bed sheets wet at the same time? what is the capacity of the washing line or dryer? - if only one bedsheet fits on the line or in the dryer at a time, then the answer isn't necessarily wrong!

The human element is obviously missing though, because my first question would be . . . how did you wet the bedsheet? 😜

how did you wet the bedsheet?
Take a guess. ;) I have an aquarium...

It assumes, you take each bedsheet separately 1 by 1 and let it dry and leave the others wet till the first is done drying.
Anyway, it doesn't know the concept of a washing line to dry all 6 bedsheets at the same time in the same time.
bedsh.jpg

Funny is if you ask a similar question without specifying variables. It assumes you kick the bucket and all apples role at the same time.
apples.jpg

You need to know your question better than the answer... Or it will just babble a bit.

but it's still going to dominate your destiny.

It might already be doing that a lot to all of us... Looking at how they already are implanting tracking cookies. It knows what we want and what we desire and shows us where and how to obtain it.

Already see how human psychics are mapped and how we all kinda follow the same algorithm in behaviour and thinking. I can't say I'm not sensitive to that, I don't know and hope not. But when I look around the house I find stuff enough and think why the hell did I buy that for? No idea what triggered me but I did... I guess we all have under our skin.

And I never said it was wrong or in error, it's just funny how and what it associates or doesn't. :)

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few AI generated aquarium related photos on social media - people asking the usual questions on IDs on plants or fish and not realising they are seeing an image of something that doesn't exist.

I've seen quite a few AI generated aquarium related photos on social media - people asking the usual questions on IDs on plants or fish and not realising they are seeing an image of something that doesn't exist.

Never looked it up, but indeed there are some nice ones... :)

The ones that have a see-through side panel with a front shot instead of a reflection are rather obviously fake. The makers forgot something to add there.

I wonder how they describe it in words to get such a result from a computer making the picture.

Those are pretty good, “ aquarium in a history museum with tree like bonsai out of top with hanging lights with some fish” will get close.

Really off topic, but interesting?

at university in a image generation module (years ago) we were to generate plants from code; I suggested using the “super computer” to my professor that every image ever known could be captured in a 1024px square image. She didn’t disagree; but I guess I didn’t think it through. The model was simple, brute force every pixel with a different RGB colour, and then apply that colour to a pixel; provided that the pattern generated was unique.

I would have created an amount of images something like 10^2073600 I t’s an enormous number, one with more than two million digits.

And that’s why I didn’t pass that class, by the time submission was in i had realised I had taken the very wrong path 😅 I did get to mess about on one of the most powerful computers in the country tho 🤷‍♂️

Back