• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis options for a dense carpet

LMuhlen

Looking at the options available locally for Eleocharis, I found minima, parvula, japan and acicularis, available from different farms, and depending on the supplier it comes as in-vitro or not. There are also vivipara and others like it that I know won't fit my demand.

So my question is, which one should be used for a dense and most importantly short carpet? Ideally one that wouldn't require trimming to keep it short. I prefer the vertical varieties instead of the curved ones, so I guess that excludes japan.

From what I can see, eleocharis commercial nomenclature is kind of a mess, so it's hard to compare these options with others from abroad...

I have a carpet question. I would like to get a carpet in my aquarium, but in some articles and videos online says “carpets lead to spike in ammonia”. I watched and red a lot and it doesn’t make sense. If you have more plants they should consume the byproduct of the waste. It said carpets trap the left over food and this leads to ammonia spikes. Don’t sound true to me. There are no left overs after my shrimp has been around. 😂😂

So, the carpet will be fine and won’t cause me issues. How good idea is to use pearl weed. Is it ok for a beginner?? Never had carpet before.

Looking at the options available locally for Eleocharis, I found minima, parvula, japan and acicularis, available from different farms, and depending on the supplier it comes as in-vitro or not. There are also vivipara and others like it that I know won't fit my demand.

So my question is, which one should be used for a dense and most importantly short carpet? Ideally one that wouldn't require trimming to keep it short. I prefer the vertical varieties instead of the curved ones, so I guess that excludes japan.

From what I can see, eleocharis commercial nomenclature is kind of a mess, so it's hard to compare these options with others from abroad...
Mate you will be trimming that very often and it's an absolute pain to trim hairgrass. So keep that in mind, I got fed up and changed to mix of MC and cuba

Mate you will be trimming that very often and it's an absolute pain to trim hairgrass. So keep that in mind, I got fed up and changed to mix of MC and cuba
Hmmm it is a tall tank and I won't try to keep it really short, so I'm hoping that I won't need to trim too often. But like you said, if at one point it turns out to be too much, I'll just start again with another plant. But I want to cross "eleocharis carpet" from the bucket list.

For the record, I bought Eleocharis minima, not in-vitro. I'll plant the tank tomorrow. It is from a farm that I don't particularly trust to give the correct plants, so that's an added layer of uncertainty to the already messy world of eleocharis commercial names. We'll see what comes out of it.

Back