• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim classic 250 making tons of noise

S.G.A

Hey guys

I’m currently performing a dark start on my UNS 45S.

I’m using an eheim classic 250. It’s a second hand filter but in pristine condition. The problem is the noise, it’s really starting to annoy me.

The filter is almost right next to my bed and I often get fed up and turn it off for the night so I can sleep. I know that this is terrible for the bacteria but I just can’t sleep if I don’t turn it off. I’ve been contemplating getting the filter on a timer and having it turn off for half an hour while I fall asleep but this isnt good in the long run for the health of bacteria and the filter itself probably.

The noise is kind of like flowing water, and i’ve been noticing tiny bubbels keep coming out of the outlet so I suspect a faulty O-ring. I know that it isn’t the inlet since i’ve got the filter in a bucket filled with water (in which i’ve got my heater.

I have padding underneath and a blanket over the pump itself but the noise still is terrible. I’ve cleaned and lubricated the impeller several times but to no avail. The noise sounds like grinding and flowing water.

Does anyone have thing for me to try or should I just scrap the filter because I can’t deal with this noise. I’m tempted to just get a nano internal filter but then I’ve got way worse filtration.

Thanks in advance

Daan

Perhaps replace the impeller, ceramic shaft and rubber fittings that hold the shaft in place. In my experience, the latter, in particular, get harder with time and fit less well, thus causing noisy vibrations.

Hello @S.G.A - I know this might be a pain, but can you take a small video/recording of the noise etc? It might just help with understanding what the sounds is and means - especially to current Eheim Classic 250 users.

Hi SGA,
Can you move the tank in another room?
If not, then put at least 3 metres between your filter and you when you go to sleep.
Have the filter inside a cabinet or something similar.
This one is on your own risk... with a very fine sandpaper, touch the sharp edges of the propeller, maybe that will help in reducing the noise.
Good luck 👍

Perhaps replace the impeller, ceramic shaft and rubber fittings that hold the shaft in place. In my experience, the latter, in particular, get harder with time and fit less well, thus causing noisy vibrations.
I’m thinking about doing this. I’m just scared that i’ll get everything brand new and that it still doesn’t work.
Hello @S.G.A - I know this might be a pain, but can you take a small video/recording of the noise etc? It might just help with understanding what the sounds is and means - especially to current Eheim Classic 250 users.
I made a video and uploaded it to Flickr, not sure if it will work but I hope so:
Hi SGA,
Can you move the tank in another room?
If not, then put at least 3 metres between your filter and you when you go to sleep.
Have the filter inside a cabinet or something similar.
This one is on your own risk... with a very fine sandpaper, touch the sharp edges of the propeller, maybe that will help in reducing the noise.
Good luck 👍
Not really a possibility I’m afraid. I’m really keen on this tank being in my room and I’ve already got the filter setup as far away from my bed as possible. I just really can’t sleep with this noise.

@dw1305 - do you (or have you) own a classic? Should it sound like that if you have?

Last edited:
I just battered all the impeller parts and whatnot in vaseline and it was better for maybe 2 minutes. I’m getting so fed up with this situation… So close to just getting an internal but that would mean i wasted money on this for nothing.

I just battered all the impeller parts and whatnot in vaseline and it was better for maybe 2 minutes. I’m getting so fed up with this situation… So close to just getting an internal but that would mean i wasted money on this for nothing.
That’s a lot noisier than I remember. (My first ever canister filter was an Eheim classic 250) and it was very quiet. I can hear two types of noise - impeller rotation noise, and what sounds like tiny air bubbles. Before you splash out an an internal filter, I’d try a new impeller set. It’ll cost you about £25 plus postage..

Frustrating I know - but won't an internal filter take away some of your 19L space?

Really hard to diagnose this by wire - but you can try to replace the impeller or perhaps it is time to assume this thing is either a) newer than Darrels and therefore louder or b) take the plunge and get a new filter.

That’s a lot noisier than I remember. (My first ever canister filter was an Eheim classic 250) and it was very quiet. I can hear two types of noise - impeller rotation noise, and what sounds like tiny air bubbles. Before you splash out an an internal filter, I’d try a new impeller set. It’ll cost you about £25 plus postage..

What @hypnogogia says.

Have you definitely purged all of the air out? Sometimes it can take a bit of shaking to get it to purge. It would also explain the small bubbles that you're occasionally getting.
Failing that, try to level it if it's not already. Any free play in the impeller / shaft could create noise.
If none of that works what @hypnogogia says. I've used 'the pond king' on eBay (Rainbow Koi in melksham) before as they're fairly local.

Finally listened to this.

I run 2 250s, and 350 - none sound like this, but I can reproduce this sound if the canister is not filled with water.

To fix:
  • Empty canister and refill.
  • Connect the inflow/return
  • Connect the outflow
  • Suck on the outflow so you can be sure that water has filled the inflow
  • Turn on pump
  • Every 10 minutes tilt the cannister to 45• angles to purge any air.
Hope this helps. Obv, try last step first just in case.

Did you check the impeller?
You need to have two ruber bushings one ceramic shaft and the impeller.
Take them out, put them together and spin the impeller. It should spin nicely and smooth. Also check the wings of the impeller, if they have any defects. Put grease on it and hopefully will behave...
Good luck 👍

It’s gotten slightly better after purging all the air again. It’s still audible but I’ll just sleep with music from now on. I planted the tank today and everything is running nicely.

Back