• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Editing posts

Maf 2500

It seems there is no time limit on editing posts. Would it be better that posts are locked and unable to be edited after a certain amount of time? A day? A week or an hour? It can make a thread a bit strange if posts are edited after the fact...

Also, how long does it take after making the initial post, if you want to make an edit, before the text stating that a post has been edited appears.

Can mods and/or admin edit their own posts without the "Last edited" text appearing?

Can mods and/or admin edit a member's post without a "Last edited by" text appearing?

In the Uk posters own the “copyright” to their posts, removing the edit is a bit awkward.

Hi all,
We used to have a 15 minute editing window. Users can delete threads they started.

I think there are advantages to having a time limit on post editing, but I've re-edited a number of my own posts, mainly to correct grammar etc., but also to link in later threads.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Does owning the copyright to a post necessarily give you the right to retroactively edit it? If you published a book you would own the copyright but you would not be able to recall all of the copies and change the text.

We used to have a 15 minute editing window. Users can delete their own posts.
That sounds sensible. As an experiment earlier I edited one of my own posts from months ago (just a minor punctuation change to test) and it felt so wrong. I used to mod at a forum connected to a University botanical garden (in another country) and iirc you had 2 mins to edit clean without an edited text appearing, for typo's etc; after that you got a last edited message stating the time. I also thought there was a hard time limit for editing, but that does not currently seem to be in place, so maybe the landscape has changed in the last few years.

In the Uk posters own the “copyright” to their posts, removing the edit is a bit awkward.
Does this ownership of the copyright mean that third parties (eg. moderators) are not allowed to edit other people's posts? Obviously they would be able to delete illegal content or hate speech and the like, but are they allowed to edit other people's words?

The committee will be reviewing all policies in the future. If you could send me a link on this Castle that would be helpful and I'll get it to the committee for discussion.

The edit function was added in 2020 and has never been in issue until now, as I understand it. I'll add it to the agenda for committee to discuss.👍

Back