• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus tank (the end)

Re: Echinodorus tank (video on P4)

At 0:51 did your female Apisto pick off a cherry shrimp ?
Thanks Chris
yes, i moved most of the cherries over to my other tank, some i couldn't get.

Nice video mate

Thanks Westy

Looking great, like the idea. Can't wait to see it when those Quadricostatus start chucking out runners.

Thanks Spyder, they have already started throwing the runners out. They'll be another thing to keep on top of.

Ian I have a question mate. How well rooted is that HC already ? What do you do when cleaning that during a water change to avoid it getting sucked into oblivion ? Sorry, I may have asked you this before but want to revisit the topic as I do not feel I am keeping my tank as clean as I should be.

The Hc is planted with rock wool still on ala the same as in this vid

I don't touch the Hc, just leave it to make sure it takes.

Thanks Ian that video was very useful. I knew some of the techniques but not all of them. Im gonna try HC now :)

Hi Ian ,...I loved the video. What song did u have playing at the background? I thought it suited it perfectly. Nice nice tank. Looking forward to seeing it progress. all the best with it.

hey Faizal, thanks for the compliment...the tune in the back is Cinematic Orchestra - Build a home. They do a lot of the background music for the documentaries on the BBC.

update time...

The echinodorus tricolour is throwing off proper new leaves now. It's a nice sword as the leaf colours starts off white, then gets reddy brown spots on it as the Ozelot does. Then finally a nice green.

I have dumped the HC in my nano, i wish i'd gone with glosso the first time round with this tank. I have swapped the glosso out of my nano in the tank. The glosso has been in the tank for about 3 days and it showing some good new growth already.

heres some pics...

6857495852_2bfe4242b7.jpg
Tricolour by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7003612953_b60284a421.jpg
Zebra by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7003610647_52765c8434.jpg
new growth by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7003615541_dddb57f57e.jpg
FTS by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

clean and crisp. Those greens really pop with vitality. which light tubes do you use? And err... How much output? Thanks.

Looking great Ian. Why did you ditch the HC? Also can you do a close up of your diffuser and possible a short clip to show how it gets distributed ? I would find that pretty useful as I am contemplating using the same method. Thanks.

which light tubes do you use? And err... How much output?

thanks Darren, the tubes are 2 x JBL 18 watt T8 Natur 9000k bulbs, i like the looks of the 9000k jbl bulbs, i has the T5 versions in my old tank.

Why did you ditch the HC? Also can you do a close up of your diffuser and possible a short clip to show how it gets distributed ?

I got a little fed up with the HC TBH, i wanted to use glosso to begin with, but didn't for some reason. I will get a vid up of the diffuser and distribution over the next few days hopefully. I'm doing 13 hour days at the moment though.

What was it about it that made you fed up ? Is it a pain, do you just tire of the same old same old, or something else. Just trying to see if there are pitfalls to it. Im hoping to set up a 30l nano with it in. Also, I have the chance of a Dennerle nano that comes with a 4 bar single PC type bulb that came with the nano in the first place. Its meant for marines in that it has 3 of the tubes as white and one as blue. The light spectrum produced appears OK but i dont know what it would be like with plants. Would such a light do any HARM though ?

Those plants are looking very healthy. Ian which in your opinion is of the hardier variety of echinodorus? The bleheri or the amazonicus?

hey Chris, i just wanted to have a go at Glosso, it's going great guns in this tank already. The temp (Kelvin) of lighting is really just for ascteics imo, i just prefer the white clean look. I don't like the yellow look in a tank.

Faizal, i'm no Echinodorus expert, but the Bleheri should be the more hardier of the 2.

heres a vid for Chris...(excuse the in and out of focus, it's hard videoing bubbles!) best viewed in 720p.

Cheers Ian. Is the diffuser at the front of the tank ? Green neons ? And what are the other tetras ? Looking great. That diffuser certainly creates fine bubbles :)

Re: Echinodorus tank (Tricolor leaves)

cheers Faizal.

heres a couple of pics of the new leaves on the main Echinodorus (tricolour), the colours are quite stunning, the are really pink when you catch them at certain angles. There is only a couple of old leaves left now. This is a really nice looking plant.

6875276400_741a692e8c.jpg
tric3 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

6875279218_b058b23a95.jpg
tric4 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Beautiful images Ian, really top notch stuff :) This tank is taking on a stunning appearance now. Inspiring stuff :thumbup:

nice pictures.

thanks guys...

well, look what i came home to find today.

is that a nymph in tric 4?

Back