• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

E.I dosing.....

krazypara3165

Just a quickie.

Going from high tech to low tech and I am used to dosing every day.

What is the best way about dosing on a low tech? Im planning on reducing water changes down to once a week. would I be better dosing twice a week (say micro saturday and macro wednesday) at the same amount that I used to dose everyday. Or would i be better reducing the amount and continuing to dose everyday?

cheers,

I dose daily suggested EI for my size tank, once a week macro's ,and twice a week with micro's= CSM+B.
After that,, I watch plant's,and plant mass,to decide whether more is needed.
Has worked well for me.

ahhhh cool. I never had any issue with plants when I ran high tech, so i want to get my low tech right first time. is there any tell tale signs that your dosing too much or too little? so from the above statement am I right to believe you dose three times a week (or more if needed)? and that dose is the same as if it was a high tech tank (obviously that would be dosed everyday)

Sorry for all the questions. just want to get off to a right start!

ahhhh cool. I never had any issue with plants when I ran high tech, so i want to get my low tech right first time. is there any tell tale signs that your dosing too much or too little? so from the above statement am I right to believe you dose three times a week (or more if needed)? and that dose is the same as if it was a high tech tank (obviously that would be dosed everyday)

Sorry for all the questions. just want to get off to a right start!

No,,I perform weekly water change or water change every two week's.
I then add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of KNO3,1/2 to 3/4 tsp of KH2PO4, 1/2 tsp K2SO4 and 1/2 tsp CSM+B day after water change so that Iron will not be affected by PRIME used at water change (said to detoxify heavy metal's).
I do add CSM+B twice a week, but nothing else till next water change for macro's.
I looked up EI formula for 60 to 80 gal tank, and add daily amount once a week after water change,micro's the next day.
Added this from the get go,and plant's once they recovered from emmersed to submerged state, performed well.
When plant's were new ,and small, I used 1/2 tsp of afore mentioned macro's and micro's once a week.
As tank matured, and plant's filled in ,grew in mass,,I went to 3/4 tsp of macros once a week,and 1/2 tsp micro's twice a week.
I can see how you figure three times a wek dosing, but wanted to be clear that macro's are only added once a week in my low tech tank's.Micro's are twice a week.

Hi all,
I never had any issue with plants when I ran high tech, so i want to get my low tech right first time. is there any tell tale signs that your dosing too much or too little?
You need to keep a watch on your TDS if you keep dosing at a relatively high rates. My suggestion is the "Duckweed Index", have a look through this thread <Low maintainence, long term sustrate | UK Aquatic Plant Society>, it is a simple and robust method for maintaining some plant growth.

cheers Darrel

I like to think that the roughly 1/3 EI dosing that I feed plant's weekly in 300 litres, is not too much .
Anywho,, plant's perform well.
I know that CO2 in my tank is what it is with no CO2 supplement,I know I am adding plant food that I believe,, judging from plant 's,,is in adequate supply.
That leaves only the lighting for me to fiddle with, and so long as I don't try to use too much..
algae is near non existent, and plant's thrive Much better than previous effort's where growth was mostly various form's of algae.

Hi all,

You need to keep a watch on your TDS if you keep dosing at a relatively high rates. My suggestion is the "Duckweed Index", have a look through this thread <Low maintainence, long term sustrate | UK Aquatic Plant Society>, it is a simple and robust method for maintaining some plant growth.

cheers Darrel

Cheers ironically I was reading that thread this morning! I need to get to grips with duckweed index as I would like to try using that method. However at the moment I just mix my salts as per instructions and dose the quantity for my size tank. I wouldnt know where to start to get a 2ppm formula of a specific salt..

Back