• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Dyeing cat litter

A lot of yes and no here I read.
If it will be put straight into a tank set up I would also say no.
But guys I do not think that foxfish is a one without a common sense. Give him a credit that he is searching for a solution that you are not forced to look for.

Foxfish I would say yes go for it. Just make sure your experiments are correct and reliable before setting up a tank for real.
Most people will be scared to try something radical and new, especially when the goodies are available in the shop nearby.
Do not bother to listen to someone that says "why bother".

Aquadream said:
A lot of yes and no here I read.
If it will be put straight into a tank set up I would also say no.
But guys I do not think that foxfish is a one without a common sense. Give him a credit that he is searching for a solution that you are not forced to look for.

Foxfish I would say yes go for it. Just make sure your experiments are correct and reliable before setting up a tank for real.
Most people will be scared to try something radical and new, especially when the goodies are available in the shop nearby.
Do not bother to listen to someone that says "why bother".

Another one taking my comment totally out of context. Aquadream, foxfish asked for people opinions and he got them, including mine. Don't you think you are being a little childish saying "do not listen to someone that says "why bother". ? Apart from being offensive. That is not ALL I said, I backed up my opinion with reasons for what I thought and I really dont think foxfish needs people to tell him who he should and should not listen to. He can make his own mind up. Personally, I think the risks involved and time it would take to do this would far outweigh the alternative options, hence my OPINION. I am entitled to that opinion, and foxface asked for it.. So lets not start slating one opinion or another just because its not the same as our own, huh ?

Antipofish are you trying to start a fight. this could be an interesting thread yet you seem to think everyone is having a go a you. you weren't the only one that sad it was a bad idea. I don't think anyone is aiming any of there comments at you their just stating their opinion and your taking it personally. i think we should just leave it alone and let foxfish tell us the result of his experiments, or this thread may get locked.

danmil3s said:
Antipofish are you trying to start a fight. this could be an interesting thread yet you seem to think everyone is having a go a you. you weren't the only one that sad it was a bad idea. I don't think anyone is aiming any of there comments at you their just stating their opinion and your taking it personally. i think we should just leave it alone and let foxfish tell us the result of his experiments, or this thread may get locked.

No I am not trying to start a fight. But yes I do think the comments were aimed at me personally as I was the only one who said the specific things that were commented on by the people I replied to.

Your comment "I think the why bother attitude is a bad one. the human race would get no were if the attitude was always "lets just go down the shop and buy it" was made very shortly after I wrote that exact phrase in my post, and then Aquadream's comment "Do not bother to listen to someone that says 'why bother' " was equally personal. Coincidence ? I doubt it, so lets not try and backtrack. And I am sorry but we are all entitled to our own opinions without negative comments such as those. I have already said that I backed up my opinion with reasons for "why bother". Foxfish or others may think differently, and I don't have a problem if he wants to spend the time trying something, its his time and his money. But this thread was asking for opinions and each one is as valid as another. If I had just written "Why Bother" and not said anything else I might have expected the comments, but I didn't. I'm sorry but I just don't get why some people feel the need to refer to someone elses comment in a negative light ? To make their own opinion sound better perhaps ? Why not just accept that someone else's opinion differs to your own and make your own opinion known without referring negatively to the alternatives ?

So once again, No, I am not trying to start a fight, I am defending my opinion after seeing comments about it which are negative, and I did so politely. If the thread is locked that would indeed be disappointing but if you read my earlier post on the subject I had already said "Nuff Said" and you are the one who chose to continue, so perhaps you should ask yourself if you are trying to pick a fight too. How about we both shut up about it, and anyone else, and stay on topic ? Obviously you and Aquadream have something that offended me and I felt the need to defend my comments. If you feel the need to have the last word on the subject, thats cool. I won't be posting any more on the matter.

Christ, put your handbags away! Nobody cares. Don't hijack peoples threads with BS.

Foxfish; when I was contemplating using cat litter I was put off by the colour. I'd be very interested to hear about your findings. I've heard using Coffee can work, and this link is interesting http://www.pioneerthinking.com/crafts/c ... ldyes.html Although I'd expect any dye could leech...

i dont really want to get involved in a some ones else's
thread really i have used tesco cat litter and find the colour
quite pleasant it looks sort of pinkish when it dry but once
its washed and in the tank it looks brown in colour and i
was just thinking it would probably go darker the older
it gets about coffee i have heard of it and tea been used
to stain house bricks so it might just work to colour cat
litter.there are a load of natural dyes out there like onion
skins beetroot there must be other food related or safe
plant dyes out there it just needs some research interesting
thread by the way would like to know what the out come of the
cat liter staining turns out like

Hey foxfish, what about Henna ? All that stuff is supposed to be natural isn't it ?

Hi Foxfish

Have you looked @ Caribsea Eco-Complete Live Planted Substrate its Black and Cheap only £22 for 9kg bag

Ive been using this for about 2 years now think it a great product 100% natrual

Contains Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulfer plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants.

Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate contains all the mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae! is Iron rich which eliminates the need for laterite and is also Nitrate and carbonate free which will not increase pH or carbonate hardness.

There is no artificial dye, paint or chemical coating because it`s real! contains live Heterotrophic Bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. also creates a natural biological balance which makes cycling in a new aquarium faster and safer. With it`s unsurpassed MacroPorosity for healthy roots and bacterial efficieny - you would have to buy 4 bags of ordinary gravel to equal the surface are of this one bag of Eco-Complete.

Have a look see if you can get bag of that Were I Buy Mine

Back