• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

viper3770 said:
Very nice indeed, the wood is fantastic!

Well, I've got a ton or two of driftwood in my yard, so I figure I'd better do something with it.

Okay, I quit. My tanks will never look as good as this! I'm done with the hobby, you win. ; )

Seriously though, I'm giving up at least on trying to figure out what the species of plants that you have here. Can you help us out by giving us a list so that I can look them up and to check what's available here? There are certainly a few there I'd be interested in finding out more about.

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

I love this tank! It's very daring with colours and the amount of wood used. I'd like to re scape my big tank one day and will be looking to your huge stash of driftwood once I've a bit more cash in my pocket.

Do you envisage growing any plants out if the water at any stage with this tank? Would certainly suite that look I think :)

Cheers

Gavin

redfronttankshotOct4th.jpg

topOct4th.jpg

resizedtopoftankOCT4.jpg

topoftankpretrimoct4th.jpg

tankshot0ct4th1.jpg

AFTER

resizedposttrimsideOct4.jpg

redonetrim1.jpg

Re:

Gfish said:
I love this tank! It's very daring with colours and the amount of wood used. I'd like to re scape my big tank one day and will be looking to your huge stash of driftwood once I've a bit more cash in my pocket.

Do you envisage growing any plants out if the water at any stage with this tank? Would certainly suite that look I think :)

Cheers

Gavin

Perhaps some in the background might end up out of the water due to not trimming them or something.

I trim to sell them, so I have some motivation to keep the gardening going.
Basically farming but I get paid pretty well to do a little bit of work and the crop is worth more than Cannibis actually(semi legal in CA FYI).

Hi,

Lovely colors and super healthy plants. Water is a bit misty though, right?

topoftankpretrimoct4th.jpg -> is this Hydrocotyle sp. Japan on the top of the wood? Have you just attached it to the wood and it is growing like this?

schraptor said:
Hi,

Lovely colors and super healthy plants. Water is a bit misty though, right?

topoftankpretrimoct4th.jpg -> is this Hydrocotyle sp. Japan on the top of the wood? Have you just attached it to the wood and it is growing like this?

Hi, yes, it's a tad misty and the picture picked that up more than what it looks like in person. The front to back depth is also pretty far, about 80cm.

The plant is Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides

It just gets caught on the snag of wood that just breaks the surface. Many of my tanks have this emergent feature, not really on purpose, but if whatever snags there looks bad, I will remove it.

120galOct11.jpg

ResizedOct11.jpg

Update, still a ways off, I need to redo the R wallichii and add the L pantanal perhaps in that spot where I can trim it often..........have some more slight wood combos to work on. A couple more trims and I should be in a good zone.

Left side still needs work, right side starting to look better.

Hey Tom,
Nice tank and healthy growing plants.

What type of bulbs do you use? I guess it is T5HO but can I get more detail information?
This picture shows you using different colour temperature each bulbs, and on the right side (no.2 from right to left) it looks like you put one reddish/pink bulbs.

thanks Tom,

SuperWen said:
Hey Tom,
Nice tank and healthy growing plants.

What type of bulbs do you use? I guess it is T5HO but can I get more detail information?
This picture shows you using different colour temperature each bulbs, and on the right side (no.2 from right to left) it looks like you put one reddish/pink bulbs.

thanks Tom,

I use 3 Giesemann powerchrome daylights and one of their pink Aquafloras. The color is a bit too pink for my own taste. I'd like to change this and will try some LED's on the tank in a month or two and see what the color looks like.

This is 216 watts at 70-80 cm above the tank and about 1 meter from the plants for a 450 liter tank and a total of about 500 liters. The fixture is a Tek 4ft fixture that I painted white to match the decor. I do not like the pink bulb, I have some spare daylight I might switch out.

When I add the LED's, I have to be very careful to measure the light, otherwise I'll end up adding way too much light and will need to adjust the height a little and then dim them. I'll use about 1/2 the total light and not have so much light spill into the room. I plan on using maiden hair fern(nice native species here) in pots next to the aquarium also, so I might keep the fixture.

Would it be possible for you to tell us the plant species used here? I haven't been able to figure it out from the photos!

Mxx said:
Would it be possible for you to tell us the plant species used here? I haven't been able to figure it out from the photos!

Myrio matogrossense
Anubias coffeefolia.
Bolbitus
C parva
UG
Gloss
Downoi
Ludwigia palustris sp "red"
R wallichii
P stellata
L arcurata
A reineckii
D diandra
H sibthorpes
M tuberculatum
Ech agustafolia vesuvinus
Tonia fluv
L vertilicilata pantanal
L perunesis/granulosus
Erio cinerum
Starougyne porto velho

I think that is it........

foxfish said:
Tom, I know you like needle wheel pumps but I don't see a spray bar return?

I've never been fond of spray bar returns, Curiously, Amano is not either, nor any reef folks I know.

Many thanks. Not being familiar with many of these it took me a little searching to find some of their full names and more about them. But as a result I'll now be adding the following to my list of plants to keep an eye out for!

Ludwigia palustris sp "red"
Rotala wallichii
Erio cinereum
Ludwigia granulosus/perunesis
Ludwigia peruensis
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'
Echinodorus angustifolia var vesuvius
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
Alternanthera reineckii
Ludwigia arcuata
Pogostemon (or Eusteralis) stellatus

OK that is interesting to me but not that surprising!
I have been using a spray bar for a about 12 months, I use a needle wheel pump & sump so I can see the flow patterns within the tank & the flow pattern seem fine however I just dont seem to be seeing the same lush growth as when I was using a basic mid water return across the back of the tank?
I wonder just how much gas I loose by shooting the flow across the surface before its downward & circular flow?

Back