• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drip Irrigation Advice

jameson_uk

I suspect there are some knowledgeable people here who can offer some advice.
We have several containers / pots on the patio plus a couple of beds and I was looking at setting up a drip irrigation setup so they don't die off (again) when I am away on holiday.
Just looking for any advice on how best to do this. In particular I was looking at whether I should use a 13mm supply pipe setup with 4mm connections to the actual tubs and at which point this becomes necessary (or whether you might as well do it anyway. Looks like some kits are just 4mm and some are 13mm supply with optional 4mm spurs so which kits should I look at.

The other thing is the actual emitters. Looks like the options are drip connectors or mini sprinklers but not sure what is best for planter boxes. It looks like the drip emitters are great for individual plants and the sprinklers for beds but the planters are somewhere in the middle. We have four bigger (90cm x 30cm I think) planters with probably a dozen plants and several smaller 45cmx25cm planters with probably around six plants in each. There is a cheap kit in Screwfix (Micro Irrigation System - Screwfix) that is micro 4mm only and only contains drip emitters so not sure whether to start with that or whether I will end up spending more in the long run???

One final though is about hiding the pipework. The planters and pots aren't next to the house but along the top of a retaining wall . I was thinking about running pipework under the planters and drilling a small hole to put a 4mm feed through the bottom. Presumably other than adding a bit more height to pump and a little bit longer overall pipework this shouldn't make too much difference? Any other tips on hiding the pipework appreciated

I know someone who used one of these to keep their potted plants watered. I think you place a "drip head" on a spike in your plant pot and attach it to the pipe where the drip head makes a hole in the pipe to let the water out. Controller lets water flow as programmed.

20 Pot Watering Kit | Hozelock Ltd

Things to be aware, my mates initial cheapy "before buying hozelock" automatic waterer has a 5 bar max input pressure, his water was much higher and sometimes controller didn't shut off 100% (Hozelock is 10bar max). He also bought an automatic cut off device that automatically stops the water after say 10 litres flow, as his non hozelock controller sometimes didn't stop the water. Try to keep controller out of the rain as water did manage to get into the battery compartment. His cheapy broke one winter as he left it in the outdoor shed and water froze in it breaking the plastic.

Hi all,
We have several containers / pots on the patio plus a couple of beds and I was looking at setting up a drip irrigation setup so they don't die off (again) when I am away on holiday.
Have a look at "Shrubbler" ends for drip lines, they tend to be a lot less maintenance than other options.

cheers Darrel

Things to be aware, my mates initial cheapy "before buying hozelock" automatic waterer has a 5 bar max input pressure
I only dream of having high pressure mains supply. I am sure that last time I checked my supply was 3.5 bar. The Screwfix kit does have a pressure reducing valve but it looks a bit pants
Have a look at "Shrubbler" ends for drip lines
That is a good word. Will do some more digging as looks like these are adjustable which sounds like a sensible idea

I use one similar to this in my balcony and works just great, used it over my 2 week holiday and came back to my meadow pot blooming :) rather than dead like last year! lol

Amazon product ASIN B08LK7VH9P
Does need a container! I use a 5l container that I refill every couple weeks.

I suspect there are some knowledgeable people here who can offer some advice.
Just looking for any advice on how best to do this. In particular I was looking at whether I should use a 13mm supply pipe setup with 4mm connections to the actual tubs and at which point this becomes necessary (or whether you might as well do it anyway. Looks like some kits are just 4mm and some are 13mm supply with optional 4mm spurs so which kits should I look at.

The other thing is the actual emitters. Looks like the options are drip connectors or mini sprinklers but not sure what is best for planter boxes. It looks like the drip emitters are great for individual plants and the sprinklers for beds but the planters are somewhere in the middle. We have four bigger (90cm x 30cm I think) planters with probably a dozen plants and several smaller 45cmx25cm planters with probably around six plants in each. There is a cheap kit in Screwfix (Micro Irrigation System - Screwfix) that is micro 4mm only and only contains drip emitters so not sure whether to start with that or whether I will end up spending more in the long run???

One final though is about hiding the pipework. The planters and pots aren't next to the house but along the top of a retaining wall . I was thinking about running pipework under the planters and drilling a small hole to put a 4mm feed through the bottom. Presumably other than adding a bit more height to pump and a little bit longer overall pipework this shouldn't make too much difference? Any other tips on hiding the pipework appreciated Inspired by the popular animated series and Dragon Ball series, Power Warriors Mod APK Latest Version gives players the opportunity to role-play into beloved characters like Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo. The game is available on the Getmodnow website, so you can feel free to experience it
Use a 13mm supply pipe with 4mm connections for better water flow.
Look for kits with a 13mm supply pipe and optional 4mm spurs.
Use drip emitters for individual plants in planters.
Run pipework under planters and drill small holes for 4mm feeds.
Hide pipework using decorative elements or ground cover plants.
Consider long-term cost and durability when choosing a kit.

Back