• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dried tropica soil

Mattant1984

Hi guys,
I recently picked up a new tank which is brand new and the furthest the previous owner got to setting it up was adding the Tropica soil.

The soil has since completely dried up but I wanted to know if it could still be used??
I've added a picture below of how it looks.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20240818_124855.jpg
    20240818_124855.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
@Mattant1984
You do not need to soak the soil, do water changes for the first few weeks!!
Try not to disturb the soil as it can cloud the water column.

On another note.
Depending on how long the soil was used, it could be low in nutrients, adding root tablets/balls/sticks would be beneficial.

@Mattant1984
You do not need to soak the soil, do water changes for the first few weeks!!
Try not to disturb the soil as it can cloud the water column.

On another note.
Depending on how long the soil was used, it could be low in nutrients, adding root tablets/balls/sticks would be beneficial.
Many thanks, the soil has never been used just left to dry out but thanks for clarifying for me.

Also can the Tropica soil be capped with sand?? (More for an aesthetic point of view)

Also can the Tropica soil be capped with sand?? (More for an aesthetic point of view)
I wouldn't cap it with sand......as it will mix eventually.

As said, capping all over will just be a pain/not work well, but if you want a path kind of look, or a small area of sand which needs to be on top for some reason, I've seen some people soak an area in super glue to make a solid, maintainable bit that can't easily mix ...

As said, capping all over will just be a pain/not work well, but if you want a path kind of look, or a small area of sand which needs to be on top for some reason, I've seen some people soak an area in super glue to make a solid, maintainable bit that can't easily mix ...
Ideally I was thinking of capping just to get rid of the black soil colour however reading the above I think I will stick with just the soil and plant a little heavier to disguise the black

Back