• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does anyone have an indoor carnivorous plant garden?

Hi all,

They are easy to grow for a CP. They don't need acid growing conditions and they are much more forgiving of <"less than perfect growing conditions">. I started with one leaf (they will grow from a leaf cutting) and have quite a few now. One is just beginning to flower now.

Some of the <"epiphytic Utricularia spp. are really orchid like">, unfortunately they are difficult to grow. I think Marcel (@zozo ) has his eye on <"U. alpina"> which maybe more amenable to careful cultivation.

This one is the gorgeous U. campbelliana

U_campelliana.jpg

cheers Darrel
Love the flowers on this. I’ll try to avoid the more complex species until I can care for them properl.

I think Marcel (@zozo ) has his eye on <"U. alpina"> which maybe more amenable to careful cultivation.
I've had it a while back. it grew well for about 1.5 years in my Paludarium setup among several others, but for some reason, they slowly died. My best guess is it doesn't like mineralized water. Even placed rather high above the water level, it seems minerals are simply soaked up into their soil if it has contact. I also notice salt deposits on the emerging driftwood. It soaks up into the wood and it builds up to its surface. In the picture, you can see a white stain on the wood under the Bromelia. That's how it starts and get more to worse, that Bromelia also did not survive it.

The one with some yellowish leaves at the left is U. Alpina, it's a rather large Utricularia compared to the rest of them. It also grows fat bladders above the soil.
DSC_0660.JPG

The Utricularia sp. I'm still growing today is all in a Wardian case and in another terrarium setup and solely fed with demineralized water. I've kept a few outside the case on the window sill for a while. But also this is rather tricky and sensitive the slightest neglect whit not sufficiently watering for a few days and it's over. Thus indeed they all require very careful cultivation.

Last edited:
I’m just browsing the Hampshire website and looking at the compost etc. I was under the impression there should be a gravel layer under the compost and moss.
I don’t see any gravel on the site so I’m assuming I am mistaken?

ive never used a gravel layer, the water table in my cp collections are always so high it make them obsolet, plus you would need to make sure you had a inert, mineral free gravel.

gravel is used in some houseplants to raise humidity but as most cps like to sit in a inch (or more) of water like a bog the gravel would be submersed.

Been searching my photo archives and I found photos of my 300l tropical carnivorous plant paludarium from 2016/2018. I had growlights, cool mist, fans. I remember it was a lot of trial and error and many of species I kept loved high light, high humidity, but really good ventilation and cool conditions which was not easy to replicate.
5B7F8FB6-DE10-4F0A-BD5E-F85B7471E912.png
7649F60A-019E-4012-BA0B-ADE8830ECDF5.png

6F64ED81-5B3D-4193-8C6E-9D59702A6EFC.png
78DD6331-E892-481A-B0D0-F7C9FA3089FF.png
61ECEA60-8A26-4434-BBAA-1F6118DA1160.png
61ECEA60-8A26-4434-BBAA-1F6118DA1160.png

Attachments

• 39319E35-53E9-43EB-BDAF-A4819AB8DD09.png
    39319E35-53E9-43EB-BDAF-A4819AB8DD09.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 115
  • 5EE299AE-6C0A-4F55-B7B7-057F804A1C7E.png
    5EE299AE-6C0A-4F55-B7B7-057F804A1C7E.png
    8 MB · Views: 108
  • 2A3F3C31-4885-4E52-B41D-A4FA522F94B4.png
    2A3F3C31-4885-4E52-B41D-A4FA522F94B4.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 101
I’m struggling to find really shallow tank. I need something around 100cm length 20cm wide and 10cm high.
Anyone know where I could get something with these sort of dimension?
Have you contacted custom tank builders for a quote?

Also, humidity being a key factor in terrariums is something to consider

I’m struggling to find really shallow tank. I need something around 100cm length 20cm wide and 10cm high.

Mr Aqua 12 Gallon long maybe?

Actually, no idea where to source them in Europe. I believe ADA has a 12G long too in their collection. Find an ADA dealer.

Or as a custom build... :) Or DIY it... The main issue you will run into with these dimensions is the cabinet you're going to put it on. It needs to be perfectly flat. Glass, even tho it feels hard it's still extremely flexible in long narrow and shallow dimensions, and the smallest contortion will put constant strain on the joints. Leaving you with the risk that they will rip open one day. Thus the cabinet is equally important as the tank construction it needs to be spot on.

I once did build a tank in 120x30x20cm but missing the cabinet for it and solved the issue by using a 25mm thick plywood bottom panel. And gave it 4 corner feet and 6 adjustable feet with threaded inserts in the wood divided in between the corners. Then it can be placed on any surface and levelled.

Bottoms bottom with adjustable feed.
dscf9560-jpg.jpg

At the bottom panels top, I made slots 2mm wider than the glass thickness and as deep as the glass thickness. Thus if the glass is 6mm the slot should be at least 8mm wide and 6mm deep. This is all-around the edge of the wooden panel about 10mm from the side. Then cover the plywood with a sufficient layer of epoxy coating.

The topside of bottom panel, slotted and coated with the glass panels in as a first fit.
dscf9587-custom-jpg.jpg

Sealed and filled with water.
dscf9658-jpg.jpg

Epoxy after 7 days curring is 100% waterproof and strong as glass... To protect it from any scratching from the substrate place a piece of pond foil over the bottom. You will not see when the substrate is in.
dscf9677-custom-jpg.jpg

You could go easier on yourself by using 3 panels of slotted epoxy coated plywood and it will be even stronger.
dscf8473-kopie-jpg.jpg

dscf8474-kopie-jpg.jpg

Then put in a glass front and back panel sealed in the slots.
dscf8489-jpg.jpg

You can go any dimension with this and is extremely durable and relatively cheap and easy to DIY.

That last one I made in 2017 for outdoor use and still is in use today... :)

Last edited:
That would be the ADA -F Serie...

120-F x 30 x 20 cm
90-F x 30 x 20 cm
60-F x 30 x18 cm

Not sure if it's still made and available. But at one time they were rather popular and something new.

James Findley used this shallow tanks quite a few times

Both ADA 120F

ADA 60F

Fire Aqua 1500 x 210 x 240

Last edited:

Since its such a low volume it would simple enough to diy from acrylic if you are up for it. You could go for glass which is what I've always built my tanks from but people seem more comfortable with acrylic as you simply stick it together and don't have to worry about neatness as much. You should be able to get a quote for the cut pieces of either material and then just get a quote from an aquarium manufacturer to see if it's worth the hassle of building it yourself.

Closest I know of is 79 x 29.7 x 24.5cm (Ciano 80 Tartarium), but guess that's not much help!
Many thanks. I had seen these when I searched for shallow aquarium. It’s a shame the width is to wide as I like that little partial lid to elevate a species that has low hanging tubers:(

Mr Aqua 12 Gallon long maybe?

Actually, no idea where to source them in Europe. I believe ADA has a 12G long too in their collection. Find an ADA dealer.

Or as a custom build... :) Or DIY it... The main issue you will run into with these dimensions is the cabinet you're going to put it on. It needs to be perfectly flat. Glass, even tho it feels hard it's still extremely flexible in long narrow and shallow dimensions, and the smallest contortion will put constant strain on the joints. Leaving you with the risk that they will rip open one day. Thus the cabinet is equally important as the tank construction it needs to be spot on.

I once did build a tank in 120x30x20cm but missing the cabinet for it and solved the issue by using a 25mm thick plywood bottom panel. And gave it 4 corner feet and 6 adjustable feet with threaded inserts in the wood divided in between the corners. Then it can be placed on any surface and levelled.

Bottoms bottom with adjustable feed.
dscf9560-jpg.jpg

At the bottom panels top, I made slots 2mm wider than the glass thickness and as deep as the glass thickness. Thus if the glass is 6mm the slot should be at least 8mm wide and 6mm deep. This is all-around the edge of the wooden panel about 10mm from the side. Then cover the plywood with a sufficient layer of epoxy coating.

The topside of bottom panel, slotted and coated with the glass panels in as a first fit.
dscf9587-custom-jpg.jpg

Sealed and filled with water.
dscf9658-jpg.jpg

Epoxy after 7 days curring is 100% waterproof and strong as glass... To protect it from any scratching from the substrate place a piece of pond foil over the bottom. You will not see when the substrate is in.
dscf9677-custom-jpg.jpg

You could go easier on yourself by using 3 panels of slotted epoxy coated plywood and it will be even stronger.
dscf8473-kopie-jpg.jpg

dscf8474-kopie-jpg.jpg

Then put in a glass front and back panel sealed in the slots.
dscf8489-jpg.jpg

You can go any dimension with this and is extremely durable and relatively cheap and easy to DIY.

That last one I made in 2017 for outdoor use and still is in use today... :)
I’m afraid diy would be a last resort. I have just moved house and my new place was a hell of a mess so I’m doing one room at the time. Living room and hall are done but I still have upstairs landing, 2 bedroom, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen to do. It’s a shame the mr Aqua and the other tank are not available in the uk. A bit shorter in length than I wanted but otherwise perfect.

Since its such a low volume it would simple enough to diy from acrylic if you are up for it. You could go for glass which is what I've always built my tanks from but people seem more comfortable with acrylic as you simply stick it together and don't have to worry about neatness as much. You should be able to get a quote for the cut pieces of either material and then just get a quote from an aquarium manufacturer to see if it's worth the hassle of building it yourself.
Good idea. I’ll price up the cut glass and compare to any quotes I get from tank builders.

I've had it a while back. it grew well for about 1.5 years in my Paludarium setup among several others, but for some reason, they slowly died. My best guess is it doesn't like mineralized water. Even placed rather high above the water level, it seems minerals are simply soaked up into their soil if it has contact. I also notice salt deposits on the emerging driftwood. It soaks up into the wood and it builds up to its surface. In the picture, you can see a white stain on the wood under the Bromelia. That's how it starts and get more to worse, that Bromelia also did not survive it.

The one with some yellowish leaves at the left is U. Alpina, it's a rather large Utricularia compared to the rest of them. It also grows fat bladders above the soil.
View attachment 173794
The Utricularia sp. I'm still growing today is all in a Wardian case and in another terrarium setup and solely fed with demineralized water. I've kept a few outside the case on the window sill for a while. But also this is rather tricky and sensitive the slightest neglect whit not sufficiently watering for a few days and it's over. Thus indeed they all require very careful cultivation.
Does the Paludarium help with humidity or is it to enable a gradient?

Back