• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I want EI or not? (Danger of head exploding)

LancsRick

Afternoon all!

Ok, there is a wealth of EI information on here which I'm happy with in principle, but what I can ascertain is whether or not I actually want to go down the EI route.

This weekend I have taken on a tank from its previous owners, that is already established. I thought I'd have to completely re-establish it, but it was only stripped for a few hours, and with keeping the filters moist and transferring the old gravel and mulm, levels were spot on by the next day (result!).

I have added some Java Moss, anubius barteri nana, anubius barteri caladiiflora, hygrophilia corymbosa and microsorum pteropus. The tank is not CO2 injected, is 2ft deep, and has T8s with reflectors. (Trigon 190)

Now for the question...

What fertiliser approach should I take? If possible I'd like to leave the tank alone and do the bare minimum for the time being, but I'll do whatever is necessary.

Cheers for any pointers.

Hi I run a heavily planted low-energy tank (no CO2) with soil substrate. I dose with ferts after each water change, about the equivalent of 1/10th full EI.

Mostly I use TNC Lite since the fish load contributes most of the NPK the plants need. However about once a month or so I use TNC Complete or when NPK levels seem to be low; so far it seems to work ok.

I am caring for plant's in 400 litre sand over soil tank with crypt's,anubia,swordplant's,vallisneria, and dose macronutrient's once every couple week's and change water once a month or every three week's.
Also add trace mineral's CSM+B once or twice a week.
Tank is lit with three 32 watt T8 bulb's and filtered with one Eheim 2217 filled with nothing except course mechanical media.
Is easy for me to maintain this tank with once a month water change and scaled back , EI dosing.
My tank get's ..
1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp of KNO3 once a week,or two.
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 once a week,or two.
1/2 tsp CSM+B once or twice a week
I think with the anubia,, I would want some type of fert in water column for they don't draw much from substrate unless planted thus and then not too deeply.
Anubias I have, are numerous but most are attached to wood.
With fair fishload, and perhap's other plant species you might add ,maybe fish waste and fish food alone could sustain desired result's, but I don't believe adding a little more would hurt anything with respect to fishes or plant's.
Just mt two cent's.
For me,, feeding plant's a little, is no more difficult than feeding fish. And plant's I have,, do much better for me than with previous effort's at caring for them.
Hope some of this help's.

Hello,
In general, EI is relevant in CO2 enriched tanks. Since you don't have this there is no point in using that level of fertilization. In non-CO2 enriched tanks you can use any of the strategies described by the the posters above.

Cheers,

LancsRick said:
What fertiliser approach should I take? If possible I'd like to leave the tank alone and do the bare minimum for the time being, but I'll do whatever is necessary.
Just buy a bottle of TPN+ and be done with it ;)

The stuff works like magic.

Back