• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I rescape?

Martin cape

Hi guys,

I think I need to give the tank a good clean. Take all the wood out, scrub it and clean the glass, top to bottom. There's places where fish waste is collecting that I can get too.

While I'm at it, should I rescape to improve flow and dead spots.

This is it at the min
my3uvu3e.jpg

The outflow pipe is at the back right of the tank.

Any suggestions?

Hi mate,
Yes you should rescape because for no other reason it will give you practice at scaping.

Just look at George Farmers sticky subjects at the top of this section. He has a three part series on Aquscaping basics. Part two is especially good because hetalks about the overall shapes of the scapes; Mound, triangle, convex, concave, the use of focal points. The arrangement of your hardscape appears random right now, so think about shapes and angles that would best suit the combination of plants you have. How about using a single focal point using the large leaf plants and then progressively smaller plants as the eye moves away from the large focal. Some of those crazy stems on the right side need to be domesticated, maybe a rock or wood isolated and surrounded by the frizzy shapes, like a chicken Ceaser salad.

Even browse the gallery and copy other people's ideas...

Cheers,

Thanks Clive,

I had a look at those guides. See if ya like this idea:

I have 6 bits of bogwood in there, no need, I'm going to use 1 maximum 2. Was thinking. Move the sword to pretty much back centre, then have the big leaf crypts in front and around then another ring round of the narrow leaf crypts. This would be the focal point.

Then, beside those on the right at the back I could place the slow growing stems (can't remember the name), grow them so they step down in height from the crypts. Then just have my Blyxa on the far right by the filter inlet pipe.

I like the idea of an isolated hard scape. So, again, see what you think. On the left hand side, beside the crypts I grow in the Rotala, easy to step height down with that one.

Then the piece of wood on the left. Surround to the side and the back with the scraggly stuff lol, but trimmed. It's hard work that star grass. Then have the HC in front of it with the flame moss growing on top.

Don't know if that would be "scaped". I'm trying. Plus I think that would improve flow and appearance.

I do like my Anubias but I won't have anything to attach it too. Any ideas Clive?

Thanks again pal :)

Yeah mate, that sounds like a pretty good idea to me. If you wanted to be even more exotic you could elevate the focal area by placing some cut up egg crates and building a retaining wall with stones or wood, then gluing the anubias or moss (fissidens maybe) to the stones. That way, you get a multi-level effect, and the vertical space allows space for any kind of epiphytic plant. You can go bonkers when you start to think in 3D...;)

Cheers,

Ooooo 3D. Think of better learn to walk before I run ;)

Gonna do it all on Saturday I think. Take it all out then syphon water so it gets a good clean.

Going to have to disturb my little crypt forest coming through. God knows how long some of these roots will be ha!

Will Anubias grow just on the substrate? Well, wrong phrase really. Will they stay put, just on the substrate? Maybe against the bottom of the crypts?

Thanks Clive :)

No worries mate. You do need to anchor them to something otherwise they just drift around aimlessly, especially if flow is good. You can tie them to the crypt I suppose. Try it and see what works for you.

Cheers,

Rescaped today Clive. Posted the pics on another thread. See what ya think. Think I need more plants. Tried my best :).

Back