• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

DIY or not to DIY....

Kyle Lambert

That is the question.... ive contemplated all sorts of ways i could do a DIY external filter and ive come across a way i think would work for my 60l tank, theres one problem however.... can i be bothered to plan it, source all the parts and then build the bugger? Ive figured i could make one that puts out about 700 lph for roughly £40... but then i think should i just buy something like Aquarium Fish Tank Pond External Filter Canister Media / UV Light Sterilizer | eBay ? Admittedly its nearly double what i would pay if i were to build it... but is it worth paying extra for build quality and the UV steriliser?

Buy second hand? There is someone near me selling an xp3 for £40.

Allpondsolutions sell the same filter in your link, but have proper customer service etc. They also have a sale on, so you can get 1000 l/h for £50.

2nd hand all the way. I have an XP3 I got for £35 and an eheim 2026 for £65 both super super quiet. The All Ponds Solution is super cheap brand new (and with a UV should you want it). lots of options available

Yep 2nd hand ehiem early versions. I have owned 2213 2215 2217 all have been excellent. Not a fan of the internal trays in the all ponds myself. I just think there's Less to leak and go wrong with simple ehiems.

Back