• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Lighting Rig (new photos added)

spill50

Hi all,

Well the DIY fun continues. I've now finished my new lighting rig. Thought I'd share some photos as I know how much you guys like photos.

A big chunk of the cash I saved on doing the DIY stuff has gone now. I ended up splashing out on some nice stainless steel components for the lighting brackets which was delivered the other day.

7573727326_1457c5ec69_b.jpg

7573729182_1d0dc5296b_b.jpg

7573731274_c6acd00bb7_b.jpg

I also managed to finish the actual light box. I lined the inside with aluminium foil tape which reflects the light pretty well though I think I may add some reflectors as well.

7573734286_6cc3401ca7_b.jpg

7573736030_5afc4286a3_b.jpg

7573738034_1a12bc80ea_b.jpg

And here's a little teaser of the aquascape I'm planning. Just need the tank now :)

7573739464_8051921bfd_b.jpg

Richard

Re: DIY Lighting Rig

Most impressive...I see you have constructed a new light saber...err rig. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as ukaps has foreseen...

So this is what I used at the end of the steel tubing so I didn't have an open ended tube. Also gave me something nice to attach the hanging kit to.

7573741842_ae86172a7f_b.jpg

And the end attached to the light box. I need to find a nicer way of organising the excess cable.

7573743752_c8d1097d51_b.jpg

Hi mate,
Yeah that's a really sweet rig you've got there mate. Well done that. :clap:
I've got some hanging cable assemblies like that. It should allow your to move the rig up and down, I think. I agree, there doesn't seem to be an elegant way to terminate the excess cable ends. If you conjure up something clever, then clue us in, will you?

Cheers,

Thanks Clive, yeah I'm really happy with how it's all turned out. Since taking that photo I've changed the cable ties to white ones (bit less conspicuous) and hung the coils over the back of the box so I can't actually see them :)

Nice job! Have you thought about running the mains cables through the tubes? Maybe you could also suspend the fitting from the mains cables as well?

ceg4048 said:
:lol: That's cheating mate!

Well... if I cant see it ;)

I did think of drilling another small hole just behind the connection, running the excess cable through it and then coiling it underneath the box. Maybe I could find a stainless steel grommet for the hole. Would probably look quite nice.

Stickleback said:
Where did you get the tank made? The glass is so clear!

I know it's impresive isn't it ;)

Polyester said:
The bits you have used to make this rig, may I ask where you bought them from? :)

The MDF was from B&Q they cut it to size for me.
The foil tape was Screwfix
The Stainless Steel parts were all from http://www.juststainless.co.uk/ (They have some great marine grade parts I found quite a lot of interesting steel parts looking at boat building/deck hardware).
and the hanging kit was from Swell (Aqua Medic Aquafit Steel Wire Suspension Kit)

Aqua sobriquet said:
Nice job! Have you thought about running the mains cables through the tubes? Maybe you could also suspend the fitting from the mains cables as well?

Yeah that was my original plan but after unscrewing the Arcadia controller it was a completely sealed unit inside the plastic box to make it water proof so I would have had to cut the power cables and re-join them. Which I didn't really want to do.

Back