• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY ADA stand, which paint??

Re: DIY ADA stand, which paint??

Yeah its pretty epic. Too much like hard work though keeping that running successfully! :lol:
Hijack over, sorry mate :D

Kris

I wouldn't use blackboard paint, I use it for painting shadow battens to go round the perimeter of ceiling trims. It marks very easy and just about everything that comes in contact with it leaves a white residue. Also very difficult to clean.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I wouldn't use blackboard paint, I use it for painting shadow battens to go round the perimeter of ceiling trims. It marks very easy and just about everything that comes in contact with it leaves a white residue. Also very difficult to clean.

I'm just going to go for a grey or black Matt emulsion but an endurance one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought of a Satin finish? It's normally available in aerosol cans in DIY shops.

The one linked is satin finish so no, somewhere between gloss and matt. I've not used the gloss stuff myself only the satin and matt. How good a final finish you get depends on your prep and base coats.

:lol: :lol: GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS :lol: :lol:

kawasaki green gloss or nothing.

Wallace said:
darren636 said:
kawasaki green gloss or nothing.

Good idea. Kwak green has changed over the years though.

I've been told I must paint my cabinet the same colour as the kitchen.

Well paint the kitchen the colour you want the cabinet and then paint the cabinet :lol: :lol: ;)

Aqua sobriquet said:
The one linked is satin finish so no, somewhere between gloss and matt. I've not used the gloss stuff myself only the satin and matt. How good a final finish you get depends on your prep and base coats.

Just out of interest, i've built a cabinet, its had 3 layers of greyprimer so far rollered on, last 2 layers have been sanded back down slightly with 400grain paper, appears to my untrained eye and touch to be extremely smooth. I am thinking of going the spray route for the final coats, local b and q stock the satin grey you linked. Is there any other things i should be doing as prep before spraying? and any top coats/sealers that would work well?

Thanks in advance sorry for the hijack and questions

Aqua sobriquet said:
I'm not a painter by trade but good prep and a clean working area are key points, also get yourself a "tack" cloth to wipe down the cabinet before applying the top coat.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165614

if you wanna prep the primer first you're better off using a very very fine wet and dry and then kitchen roll + meths to clear the dust off after treat it almost as if you were spraying a car panel.

I was a panel beater spray painter by trade so I guess the same principles may not apply to spraying wood. The only suggestions I have are spraying high gloss colours is a risky business. Any imperfections would stand out like a sore thumb but if your looking for high gloss my advice would be to firstly prime the would with a few coats then put one very light misting and I mean light of your chosen matt colour over the whole thing. Hand sand this down with 800 grit wet and dry paper with water. The guide coat will now show up imperfections as any little marks will be visible as two different colours which you continue to flat until gone. Then apply your chosen colour in matt finish and if it looks the part job done. If you fancy high gloss it would probably be better to go over the top of the colour with a clear lacquer. The benefits of this are if the finish looks a bit ropey you can then flat it without breaking through with 1200 wet and dry paper with plenty of soapy water then bring it back up to a high gloss with polishing compound and a cloth, stuff like t cut is ok.

Tack cloths are essential as the flatting process will cause a white residue which needs removed before painting. Be careful with spirits. A lot of them are synthetic versions which don't really mix with paint and due to the solvents present in aerosol may even soften up the paint. I understand where it's coming from in the motor industry the paint surface can often get contaminated by things like wax oil protectors and wd 40, oil, silicone and plenty of other things that paint doesn't like but in the case of wood in your house should be fairly safe. The paints used in automotive are baked dry and use very little solvents to get then out of the gun because of the high pressure used also a hardening component is used so if the paint was dry even paint thinner wouldn't affect it but in the case of an aerosol there's a lot of solvent to get it out the tin and too harsh of thinner or spirits would soften it again if not just wipe it back off.

For what it's worth :)

Crikey AWB !!! I reckon I'm taking mine to a paint shop, hehehe.

Back