• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dechlorination

Activated carbon will remove chlorine, but not chloramine or metals. It's also good for organic compounds, but those are unlikely to be a problem in UK tapwater.
Catalytic carbon will remove chloramine as well as chlorine.
A good tapwater conditioner will remove or neutralise chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, ammonia and nitrite.
Your water supplier may not routinely use chloramine, but they may use it occasionally to treat a particular problem or risk, so it's good to be protected against chloramine.
Hi @sparkyweasel

Excellent summary!

Just add dihydrogen monoxide and away you go.....

JPC

Hi jpc. Looks like I’ve come round to sea hem prime after all! Thanks

Just add dihydrogen monoxide and away you go.....
Hi Folks,

When I made the statement above, it was intended as a bit of a joke! But, I'd forgotten that some products from the US of A are now being shipped in the dry form to keep costs down. However, unless @Ian61 has a ginormous tank and/or large, frequent water changes, a bottle of Seachem Prime goes a long way.

JPC

Tank isn’t a swimming pool and hopefully my pension will support an adequate supply of seachem prime

Back