• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cycling Observations

Pikeferret

Hello everybody, I am a new member and I have a question and I hope I can get some answers please:

I am in the 3rd week of cycling a new Nano Tank. I have used fritz 7 to boost the cycling process, I have a Tetra 250 filter system Gravel substrate Ph 7.5 with fake plants. I am also using a small pump with 1 air stone and a wood feature. I am testing with NT Labs test kit. I noticed 2 days ago that the Ammonia levels which were high have now crashed to the nil level which is great. The Nitrite Level is now dissipating to 1.0 however the Nitrate is still high. I performed a 30% water change Yesterday. Am I doing the right thing? Is my tank cycling? I want to keep Black Phantom Tetras, not many as it is only a 5 Gallon Tank.
Kind Regards,
Greg.

Hi all,
Thank-you for <"some details">,
I am in the 3rd week of cycling a new Nano Tank. I have used fritz 7 to boost the cycling process, I have a Tetra 250 filter system Gravel substrate Ph 7.5 with fake plants.
The Fritz 7 probably hasn't done any harm, I'm not personally keen on gravel or <"fake plants">.
am testing with NT Labs test kit. I noticed 2 days ago that the Ammonia levels which were high have now crashed to the nil level which is great. The Nitrite Level is now dissipating to 1.0 however the Nitrate is still high.
I'm also not a fan of making decisions <"based on test kit results">.
I performed a 30% water change Yesterday. Am I doing the right thing? Is my tank cycling?
<"Cycling is a divisive term">, unfortunately there is no way of knowing. I'd guess you have some form of microbial flora developing.
I want to keep Black Phantom Tetras, not many as it is only a 5 Gallon Tank.
The tank is much too small <"Black phantom tetra - Wikipedia">, you either need a larger tank, or much smaller livestock.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I am a new member and I have a question and I hope I can get some answers please:

I am in the 3rd week of cycling a new Nano Tank. I have used fritz 7 to boost the cycling process, I have a Tetra 250 filter system Gravel substrate Ph 7.5 with fake plants. I am also using a small pump with 1 air stone and a wood feature. I am testing with NT Labs test kit. I noticed 2 days ago that the Ammonia levels which were high have now crashed to the nil level which is great. The Nitrite Level is now dissipating to 1.0 however the Nitrate is still high. I performed a 30% water change Yesterday. Am I doing the right thing? Is my tank cycling? I want to keep Black Phantom Tetras, not many as it is only a 5 Gallon Tank.
Kind Regards,
Greg.
You have no nitrate export other than by doing water changes. If you put real plants in (even just floating ones) they will consume some of the nitrate as food so it will reduce on its own. Regular water changes is the key if you are going for a setup without any real plants as that’s the only way to reduce nitrates.

Sounds like you’re on the right track so stay patient and keep water changing.

We are a community of plant lovers so take a look around and see if you may be interested in adding some live plants to your tank. If you decide you want some floating plants, send me a DM and I will post you some for the cost of postage.

Back