• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Current build status of my nano tree stump

castle

Started building a desktop nano; which will only be seen from the front and angled left. Plan is to be lighting planted, primarily using moss and some small epiphytes

Anyway, lightings a little poor but you should be able to get the idea 👌

IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5779.jpeg

I wanted to have this “over hang concept”

IMG_5780.jpeg

Finally, I carved out the bottom to hide the pump for the trickle fountain to come up through the centre. A 500mm 10mm drill bit did the pipe line.

IMG_5781.jpeg

Photos ain’t doing it justice but it looks nice in person 😊

Tries an image with the normal lights on…

IMG_5783.jpeg

Gravel is ❤️ (note, gravel comes from in-laws garden!)

Last edited:
Went for it after work today, mostly planted up and the shenanigans of getting that wood to attach to the stone. The stone the wood rests on was very heavy and the angle to glue left me no choice but to remove the wood and glue outside of the tank.

IMG_5797.jpeg

IMG_5798.jpeg

IMG_5799.jpeg

A bit of a mare, I covered the glue with some dark sand to try and hide as much cotton pad as I could.

Then I prepared the fissindens (thanks @palcene) I did this by nutri-bulleting it with about half an egg cup of water:

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

After this, I painted on some mossy water…

IMG_5803.jpeg

Like that tbh.

IMG_5805.jpeg

Finally added some teeny anubias to some of the cracks to the wood, however I have moved one since that image 😅

Now I must mist for a couple of weeks. Planning to add a single crypt spiralis tiger on the right and left, with probably one last anubias addition rear front left. It’ll be slightly bare planted but that’s ok with this one.

What is nutri-bulleting? Can you tell me more about it?

Sure it’s the technique of food blending some moss into small/tiny bits to then paint on the hardscape. Once applied the tiny bits of moss grow and cling to the surface. It takes about 2 weeks for good rooting. Maybe a bit longer if temperature is low (like where I am). Nutribullet is a gimmicky food blender in the UK but any blender will work.

There was a “yoghurt method” that was similar but I found the yoghurt to go a bit too smelly for my liking. You can find references to that on here 👍

This is a great idea @castle - I have been planning something similar for a little UNS shallow tank I have, but with rock, and pumping the water up and over the top so it trickles all down it to support moss and plant growth on it.

This is a great idea @castle - I have been planning something similar for a little UNS shallow tank I have, but with rock, and pumping the water up and over the top so it trickles all down it to support moss and plant growth on it.

Thanks @Wookii - for growth above water there has to be some kind of draw up for water, in my last experiment (drilling holes) I noticed how dry these plants got even though they were less than an inch above water. However water flowing over rocks will be some trial and improvement as I can imagine an anticlimactic single wet stone at the top then it runs below the stones 😅

as I can imagine an anticlimactic single wet stone at the top then it runs below the stones 😅

Yeah, I figured I'd have to use a manifold to split the tube from the pump into at least three or four bits of air-tube to exit at different points at the top of the rock.

Sure it’s the technique of food blending some moss into small/tiny bits to then paint on the hardscape. Once applied the tiny bits of moss grow and cling to the surface. It takes about 2 weeks for good rooting. Maybe a bit longer if temperature is low (like where I am). Nutribullet is a gimmicky food blender in the UK but any blender will work.

There was a “yoghurt method” that was similar but I found the yoghurt to go a bit too smelly for my liking. You can find references to that on here 👍
I am familiar with that way of growing mosses. I just didnt understand the meaning of the word 'nutri-bulleting'.
That is clear now, thanks.

I have tried both methods several times, but using yoghurt was more successful for me.
Yoghurt is more sticky so that moss won't not float away. And the smell? Well, with a transparent foil you do not notice anything.

I am familiar with that way of growing mosses. I just didnt understand the meaning of the word 'nutri-bulleting'.
That is clear now, thanks.

I have tried both methods several times, but using yoghurt was more successful for me.
Yoghurt is more sticky so that moss won't not float away. And the smell? Well, with a transparent foil you do not notice anything.

Sorry, just assumed you didn’t know the technique! I have always suspected the yoghurt method causes BGA 😬 I used it twice, got BGA never again!

Back