• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne Parva Carpet

Hi Darrel
agreed Riccia can get messy and the trend for hob's doesn't help either.

Interesting about the Phyllanthus fluitans as it's the one with red roots if I'm correct. I've got some coming from Sweden in a swap next week. Never tried it before, might try some of it on its own

And Azolla is one Ive wanted to get, so if you get that established I might take you up on it :thumbup:
I've wondered that about the dwarf, as I've seen it in tanks looking humungous.

I've also been given some 'giant duckweed' a few months back and was curious about that, ring any bells it's definately larger but doesnt look anything like the smaller duckweed. Almost looks like miniature frogbit.
Thanks
Nathan

Heres a pic of some Frogbit that got rooted in the substrate. This piece actually came out of the centre of the parva carpet, albeit slowly and gently. The tank was not cloudy at all, and i would happily have it root into any of my set ups. It may have contributed to the healthy parva now. I think of it as being an exchange mechanism between the air and the dirt. Pic quality is not great :(
IMG_20150110_104151_zps0rz9hedr.jpg

Just gonna say wow. I'm just getting my head round a new low-tech tank I'm planning and this is exactly the kind of inspiration I needed.

Those roots are huge! Really incredible tank you have there, do you have any livestock in it too?

Hi all,
Phyllanthus fluitans as it's the one with red roots if I'm correct
That's the one "Red Root Floater". It has done well for a lot of people, just not me.
And Azolla is one Ive wanted to get, so if you get that established I might take you up on it
PM me in a couple of weeks, I should have some spare by then.
I've also been given some 'giant duckweed' a few months back
Sounds like Spirodella polyrhiza. I have had some (it is used a lot in phytoremediation), but I don't think I do now. A lot of these plants grow well in hard nutrient rich water, but don't do well in soft water, nutrient poor, conditions

It has a "red dot" at the growing point and several roots from each leaf pad.

spipol5.jpg
it's stocked with pygmy cory, dwarf spotted rasboras and rili shrimp.
Quality fish, quality tank. Thanks for posting it.

cheers Darrel

Ph 8.0
very hard water off the chart kh ang gh waste of money buying the kit Really.
Nitrates around 20-30ppm

The complete opposite of my water down here in Cornwall. Will be interesting to see how a similar setup works on my water...

@Darrel
Very interesting read on the duckweed index Thanks!
Quick question about measuring the conductivity, as you can prob tell I have a practical understanding but not technical. I kind of get the conductivity piece, but didn't recognise the unit of measurement. Can this be paralleled to using a tds meter which I do?
And 100% on the water quality result once a floater or two take off in a tank.

Back